Ever heard a "Classic Sounding" Demo ?

Marcellovalerio

Every SINGLE demo recording (I ain't heard many) I have heard, has in some way sounded inferior. How is this possible? :)

I mean I've heard bootlegs (straight of the soundboard style) where the drums often sound fuller than i demo's. I suppose this often is due to the fact that the artist is great.

I know there is no answer to this but, maybe someone knows a couple of good hints to get a real "classy" sound. Like a "wonder plug-in" or something :). Has anyone ever heard a GREAT demo? How do you avoid that "do it yourself" sound?

Marcellovalerio said:
Every SINGLE demo recording (I ain't heard many) I have heard, has in some way sounded inferior. How is this possible? :)

I mean I've heard bootlegs (straight of the soundboard style) where the drums often sound fuller than i demo's. I suppose this often is due to the fact that the artist is great.

I know there is no answer to this but, maybe someone knows a couple of good hints to get a real "classy" sound. Like a "wonder plug-in" or something :). Has anyone ever heard a GREAT demo? How do you avoid that "do it yourself" sound?

Record, mix and produce as if you were recording a CD that you are going to release to the public. Get it mastered. Record companies, even small labels like professionalism. The days of sending in a cassette tape are long past. You have to get their attention. Do it with professionalism. Besides, you can always sell them at your gigs. ;)

Marcellovalerio said:
How do you avoid that "do it yourself" sound?

Record in a professionally treated room, with pro mics, into hi-quality pre's, and hi-quality A/D converters into a program that, whoever is mixing it, has experience with and good ears, etc., etc., etc........

I like the "wonder plug-in" though, it would eliminate the high priced engineer and studio, or that pesky learning curve that seems to take forever. :D

Man, that learnig curve is so steep, some of us will die of old age about 1/4 the way up. If there is any magic, spread it please.

You may want to try one of these

I use this on almost all my recordings:

Attachments

• turd plug2.jpg
    turd plug2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 77
scrubs said:
I use this on almost all my recordings:

oh good lord that is incredible!

I love how the wet dry is set to 90... leave a little of that shit in there for a raw sound. ah ha ha ha. seriously, awesome man.

Back