eq question : vocals bass

.:Wyze Loc:.

is it good to remove some of the bass from the vocals when eq'ing?
i ussually remove sum bass l(like -2,-3) and bring up the mids and the trebs.
am i doin this right, im actually gettin good results doing this.
just askin yall pros for ya opinions on this

see sum of my tracks here

www.soundclick.com/wyze

I use a high pass filter around 80 - 120Hz and sometimes a sprinkling of air around 10-15KHz to help them cut through a dense mix.

I find EQ abuse can make a vocal sound really unatural.

Removing bass frequencies on a vocal track is an excellent idea for a few reasons:

1. Pops very often contain very low frequencies and can be cleaned up by rolling off very low frequencies.

2. Extraneous noises in the studio. If you have ever noticed car engine sounds or low rumbling, removing very low frequencies will help clean this up.

3. Rolling off the very low frequencies can also help a vocal to "sit" in the track better.

Make sure NOT to remove frequencies that are important to the vocal sounding good.

-Stew

All depends on the sound your looking for....i know in alot of indie rock albums eq is used to help define the singers voice....i always roll off the low end usually from like 100 down...then lil bumps in the mids and highs at certain frequences depnding on the person.

I find in many pop styles that removing a lot of bass from stacked background vocals is a useful technique. It helps differentiate the sound from the lead vocals and keeps the mix "cleaner". I may start rolling off well into the midrange, depending on the sound and effect I'm looking for.

I'd agree with dumping everything below 100Hz - usually what I do for my vox.

I'd agree with a sprinkling of air around 10-15KHz as well.

Back