EMU 0404 help (old version)

research

...recently inherited a PC built around 2006...has installed on it EMU 0404 patchmix/cubasis.
have recorded several tracks already but am wondering how (or if) I can burn to cd...yes I'm a newbie but have figured a lot of the system in fairly short order just need some solid information....any and all help would be greatly appreciated...

I take it the PC is a desktop running XP? If so then yes you should be able to burn CDs with the native OS. What you won't be able to do is burn DVD iirc. You could look for free DVD burning software but you will I am sure have trouble with XP and the internet. Not that it will immediately be overcome by malware (it will if you leave it online long enough!) no, the problem will be I am sure getting a browser to work but then my infernalnet knowledge is very poor.

There will be a memory limit of ~3.5G but that should only be a problem if you wanted to run a massive sample based project. As a straight record/play system it should be fine.

Tell us more!

Dave.

If you have produced WAV files of the tracks, you can use CDBURNERXP to burn them as an audio CD. Its freely available on CNet's download section. Just Google it. It will also burn DVDs.

Nero Express was also a popular program that was included on lots of systems. Versions 5, 5.5 and 6 were often included with CD/DVD burners and included in the factory installed programs. They will work with XP, not with Win7 or 10.

The only thing you need will be either Wav or MP3 files. Be sure to choose AUDIO CD instead of DATA CD. Otherwise it won't make a CD that can be played in a normal CD player.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave!! Have some background and specifics to provide but will have to wait until later tonight when I can spend longer than a few minutes....lots to tell and probably several questions, too...but wanted to take the minute to say Thanks ��

...alright...here's the deal....I'm a keyboard player...bought my first synth in 1977...(yeah, I'm old)...had several analog synths...Arp Odyssey, Arp string ensemble, Cat, Prophet 5, etc...embraced the digital age with Triton Pro, Roland Fantom X, a couple of Yamaha's...churned out a couple of CD's with my brother (he played and produced)...anyway had several years of non playing and just recently getting back into it...getting pretty good at laying down tracks using what I have but I'm not able to figure out how to get the tracks on to cd...my computer is equipped for burning /ripping so that's not an issue...I've been "advised" to "just run it through your Windows media player"...sounds simple..except I haven't a friggin clue how to get the tracks from cubasis to the media player...I've been into MANY sites looking for how to do it but can't find any information...I am not connected to the internet on the computer...live in a very rural setting and it's crazy expensive out here..( only satellite available)...just use my phone to look stuff up...would love to be able to burn a cd and play it in my car...ya know, in the real world not just in the confines of my little studio....that's my saga....if you or anyone else can maybe enlighten me as to how to accomplish that, man I'd be ecstatic....Thanks for wading through this extremely long post....

Ok, what you need to do is EXPORT the track from Cubasis as a 'dot' wav (.wav) file and moreover in the format of 16 bits and 44.1kHz. I do not have Cubasis. I have Cubase Essential 6 but have not used it for years, I found it tricky compared to the Samplitude SE8 we, son and I used at the time.

IIRC Cubase needs you to set 'markers' at the beginning and end of the track before you can export. To keep me sane and not lose things I always export to desktop (I get a ***t load of ***t on there and have to have a big clear up from T2T!)

Once you have .wavs you can drop them into WMP for burning....Small tip from Back in The Day? CD RW seems an economical way to make CDs because (you think!) you can scrub and re use them? We found them to be very fussy and easily damaged and made more coasters than musical CDs! Buy a stack of regular 'burn once' CDs when you see them cheap. I don't buy CDR anymore but do buy DVD-R to dump vids from my garden onto. I buy Maxell, TDK, Verbatim , whatever I see in RockBottom type shops in 10 and 25 disc pack. Some work on one (of 4) machines, some on others.

Now, I don't know if the current version of Reaper will run on XP but that might solve many problems if it does.

Er...Car does not have a USB port on the radio do it? (and you talk about "Old"? I am 74 and MY car still uses Music Cassette! But I have a nice Sony Dolby S machine to put stuff on!)

Dave.

Last edited:
Just thought. Once you have a .wav file on the Desktop, right click on it>>'send to' should give you the option to send it to the CD drive. Do that and you will be guided from there I am sure.

D.

EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT!!! Thank you so much for the information Dave. I will be utilizing it tonight and/or tomorrow. I really appreciate the info and the fact that you took time to respond. I'm really excited!!! I will keep you updated and informed on my progress and if it goes sideways I hope you don't mind if I reach out to you for further help.
...and I too have a cassette player in my car and use it frequently..something about the background hiss of a cassette brings back memories....fuzzy memories but good ones!!!
Thanks again Dave...

EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT!!! Thank you so much for the information Dave. I will be utilizing it tonight and/or tomorrow. I really appreciate the info and the fact that you took time to respond. I'm really excited!!! I will keep you updated and informed on my progress and if it goes sideways I hope you don't mind if I reach out to you for further help.
...and I too have a cassette player in my car and use it frequently..something about the background hiss of a cassette brings back memories....fuzzy memories but good ones!!!
Thanks again Dave...

I SAID I had a Dolby ESS! cassette machine! I don't get any hiss on my cassette dupes!

Heh! Of course the car's cassette player does not have a Dolby S decoder but the HF lift means the music sounds great to me because my hearing is 20dB down at 2kHz ref 100Hz.

Dave.

Well Dave, got it all sorted out I'm happy to say....have utilized lock-down type status and spent lots of time in my little studio and have actually recorded 3 new songs in the last couple of weeks...really want to thank you again for all your excellent advice....take care of yourself....hope you and yours are all well....

Back