Drummer clicks time too loud + 1 other question

kobra

Hello
My drummer is not that good, and I had him click off the time on the hihat, not sticks. He really hammered down, and the timekeeping is terrible, and I was wondering how I could get this part off when I mixdown (4 track). Second, there seems to be some tape hiss, I think from 2 plugs that were touhing during the recording. It is only noticeably before and after the music starts. Anything I can do to reduce/erase this?

I don't know how you mixed the drums. If the drums are already mixed then I would say you are screwed unless the hi-hat parts occure when there are no other drum parts going. In regard to the noise. You can try using a noise gate or simply turn the volume down at the beginning and at the end. I hope this makes sense I just had surgery and I am on a lot of drugs....yum...drugs :)

Well, if the click track is on a separate track, just mute it during mixdown, or put the fader to 0. If he was keeping time and you played along with him, you're SOL. You might be able to reduce the volume with some EQ.

For the hiss problems, again, just ride the faders. You can cue up the song to right before the music starts, hit record on the mixdown deck, wait a couple seconds and hit play on the 4track. Then, when the song ends, quickly move the faders down.

Or, if you have a computer, you could just mix it down through your sound card and use editing software like sound forge to remove the noise.

Back