Drum Trigger effect on Acoustic Drum Sound

darwin

I don't know much about drum triggers, but I want to start implementing them. I have a concern about the trigger touching the head. Does this effect the sound of the acoustic drum? It must affect it in some way. How much does it affect the sound of the drum? It matters because I hope to use a mic to catch the sound of the acoustic drum as well as using the trigger as a sort of DI for the drum.

Thanks in advance,

It will affect the drum in a number of ways.

Assuming you have the drum tuned well, and you place the trigger strategically, it will slightly dampen the overtones.

I've never heard a difference on the kick drum.

Whenever I've used triggers, I'd place them near the edge of the shell, about a half-inch from the rim, and right next to a tension rod. For me, this has dampened out some of the ringy overtones, but not choked the sound.

I use Yamaha Club Custom drums outfitted with RIMS mounts. True "professional" drums such as DW's or any all maple or all birch kit will not change a lot with triggers, but since they're all different, you might have to play around with them to get what you're looking for.

Oh, and it's a good idea to get triggers with a small surface area.

unless you are planning on using d-drums live or something, trigger pads arent really that necessary

a dab of drumagog'll do ya

I have been doing some more thinking on this. I think Drumagog will be pretty cool, and I think I can put it in my toolbox, but I am still thinking of getting triggers. It's kind of like an insurance policy on an insurance policy. I don't see how it really hurts to implement them. This is especially true since I have a Roland TD-5 that I am not really using. It sounds as if the only negative side of using the triggers is that they could impede the natural acoustic sound of some cheaper drums (which probably don't sound that good anyways). In that case, I think I would probably have to completely rely on Drumagog as my insurance policy.

I used ddrum trigers on my tama rockstar, I really don't notice any change with the trigers on or off. To be honest, I really like the sound of the drums w/ trigers. I do use overheads but I find myself not needing to add low end to catch natural drums sounds as much. I don't think it'll change the tones enough for you to worry about it.

drumagog

No doubt, I've been able to record alot more songs with Drumagog working for me.. lol.. I used to have to spend 3 hours just messing with the drum sound... and never really getting it the way I'd like.. now I just select the kind of drum sound i need and it's all over with .. :)

Back