Drum Recording Problem

Bsrutkoski

View attachment Drum Sample1.mp3
How do I record my drums without getting this washy sound at times? I know this sounds terrible but I just did it real quick so I can give you guys an idea of the problem. During the recording it gives off a washy/distorted kind of sound mostly when I hit a crash cymbal. I was wondering if it's just my mic placement or if it's just the way I'm recording it. I've tried re-positioning the overheads countless times. Moving them a distance away, putting them behind me, I've tried everything I can think of and it's driving me crazy. If anyone knows a solution please let me know, thanks.
- Brandon

Hi Brandon, I wanted to ask a few more questions about your situation:

1. What are you recording it into (i.e. the kind of interface or mixer, and how is it being routed to your computer)?
2. What was the position of the mic at in the sample, and was the sample of just the overheads or all the mics?
3. Are there any filters or fx applied?
4. What kind of mic are you using?
5. Are you hearing that sound when listening back in your daw, or just when you export the mp3?

These details could easier help us figure out what your problem is.

Last edited:
Definitely sounds distorted. What are you recording with? seems to be something overloaded for sure, whether it be the mics, preamp, or whatever. Something not right at all.

I'm recording into a Behringer Eurorack UB1202 mixer and it's connected to my computer through a RCA to 1/8" jack. I used the recorderman's method with the overheads in this sample and there is one bass mic used in this also. There was no FX applied in this either. The overheads are 2 CAD CM 217's and the bass mic is a CAD KM212. And this sound is occuring when I listen back through the daw. But if I plug my headphones straight into the mixer as I'm recording, the sound is perfect. No washed out/distorted sound. I'm completely confused as to what it is..

I'm recording into a Behringer Eurorack UB1202 mixer and it's connected to my computer through a RCA to 1/8" jack. I used the recorderman's method with the overheads in this sample and there is one bass mic used in this also. There was no FX applied in this either. The overheads are 2 CAD CM 217's and the bass mic is a CAD KM212. And this sound is occuring when I listen back through the daw. But if I plug my headphones straight into the mixer as I'm recording, the sound is perfect. No washed out/distorted sound. I'm completely confused as to what it is..

Sounds like it's a problem with your RCA to 1/8" connection. You might want to look into getting a USB interface, one of those would rid of the poor quality your getting from your current connection.

Last edited:
Ok, well thank you:) Is there an audio interface you would recommend for a newbie at recording?

TASCAM US-600 USB Audio Interface | Musician's Friend

Alesis iO4 4-Channel 24-Bit Recording Interface | Musician's Friend

You have 4 mics, so one of the above bad boys will do the trick. I use the Tascam US800 (the US600's big brother) and I love it.
The Alesis would work well too.

And eventually you may want more inputs, so I would look at something like a Tascam US-1800 if you have plans for more mics down the road.

Good luck!
-DR

Back