Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Double track vocal errors

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Like VHS, I do at least 3 takes of the lead vocal. And I do it without any of the previous tracks in the headphones. IF I find that on of the later tracks I changed the phrasing/timing, and I like it, I will record still more tracks. If a bridge or different part is hard to get to from the previous part, I will comp those on different tracks as well.
    Then when mixing a doubled track, I will select the best track as the main vocal, and then comp pieces from the other tracks (as they fit) for the doubling. I also tend to NOT double every line of the song.
    For a long sustained note where your double is going off-pitch, just add a little Tuning (I use ReaTune,) very moderately.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I really don't like double tracked vocals at all, better to get a good vocal take and use that. A lot of singers try to double track at my studio to cover up deficiencies in their vocals, basically I now get 2 deficient vocal takes that when put together have timing and pitching problems.

Get one good take and fatten it up by using processing, there are many good software plugins that can double track the vocals if you really want that sound. Using a slight chorus effect on a single vocal can sound a lot like double tracking, but don't over do it.

John Lennon used to double track the early Beatles until the Abby Road engineers came up with an effects unit that could do it for him (he was sick of having to do it LOL).

Alan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    I really don't like double tracked vocals at all, better to get a good vocal take and use that. A lot of singers try to double track at my studio to cover up deficiencies in their vocals, basically I now get 2 deficient vocal takes that when put together have timing and pitching problems.

Get one good take and fatten it up by using processing, there are many good software plugins that can double track the vocals if you really want that sound. Using a slight chorus effect on a single vocal can sound a lot like double tracking, but don't over do it.

John Lennon used to double track the early Beatles until the Abby Road engineers came up with an effects unit that could do it for him (he was sick of having to do it LOL).

Alan.
    Interestingly, John Lennon was brilliant at double-tracking, but yes, he got bored with doing it.

I also experience singers who use double tracking as a way to cover up deficiencies. However, I don't have any particular opposition to the technique itself, and like other techniques, it sits there in the tool bag of things you can call upon where appropriate.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    Interestingly, John Lennon was brilliant at double-tracking, but yes, he got bored with doing it.

I also experience singers who use double tracking as a way to cover up deficiencies. However, I don't have any particular opposition to the technique itself, and like other techniques, it sits there in the tool bag of things you can call upon where appropriate.
    I don't say I never use it (I never say never)but I'm not too fond of it. However John Lennon was the master of it, in fact you would be hard pressed to tell it was double tracked most of the time.

One interesting double track I did do was my wife's vocals on an old album from a band we were in together. I had recorded 5 vocal takes and really liked 2 of them the most (in fact they were all good) When I mixed used the 2 takes, I had one take with very little compression and the other absolutly smashed with compression. It was kind of parallel compression but with different takes. It really did make a fat vocal track. The funny thing is we never originally meant it to be double tracked so she sang them without hearing any other takes in the phones. Nailed the pitch and timing without even trying.

Alan.

Thanks
    2x+ tracking is my preferred method for fattening up vox. Every time I try it with FX, it starts sounding too processed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VomitHatSteve View Post
    2x+ tracking is my preferred method for fattening up vox. Every time I try it with FX, it starts sounding too processed.
    Agreed. I've tried a number of double tracking FX and none of them are really that good. Probably because I know they're an effect and not the real thing. Most average listeners wouldn't think as much about it I would guess. I have had a tiny bit of success by moving a second track slightly late (in varying degrees) of the original and experimenting with some effects on the second track. The same formula doesn't work on everything so it's a matter trial and error. Nothing beats a real live double if that's what you need. Thickening a vocal is also very subjective. My voice is fat by nature so double tracking it is much harder than a thinner voice IMO. Just rambling........
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    Yes I agree . I briefly toyed with the idea of one of these doublers e.g. the helicon but went off the idea quite quickly . There's something artificial sounding about a digitised copy . Ideally I think what was said earlier (Farview I think ) that you simply don't monitor back the first vocal at all which gives you total focus on the pitch that's in front of you . That however in practice is not going to be easy unless the phrasing is set in stone .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maxman65 View Post
    Yes I agree . I briefly toyed with the idea of one of these doublers e.g. the helicon but went off the idea quite quickly . There's something artificial sounding about a digitised copy . Ideally I think what was said earlier (Farview I think ) that you simply don't monitor back the first vocal at all which gives you total focus on the pitch that's in front of you . That however in practice is not going to be easy unless the phrasing is set in stone .
    That's what I do. Practicing the song and then doing multiple takes eventually gets the phrasing, inflections, etc similar. Slight timing issues are easy to handle with a little nudging of phrases.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Try doing it one line or phrase at a time. That allows you to hear a short section and while it’s fresh in your mind you can more easily repeat it with all its characteristics. Punch in and punch out if you’re on a stand alone.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maxman65 View Post
    I briefly toyed with the idea of one of these doublers e.g. the helicon but went off the idea quite quickly . There's something artificial sounding about a digitised copy . Ideally I think what was said earlier (Farview I think ) that you simply don't monitor back the first vocal at all which gives you total focus on the pitch that's in front of you . That however in practice is not going to be easy unless the phrasing is set in stone .
    If I had unlimited money, one thing I would definitely invest in is getting someone to make compact wormhole technology. Then I'd put it in a pedal so that you could send and receive a signal from a parallel universe that is slightly ahead/behind our own. It would be the perfect doubling technology!

I'd also use it for HVAC but on a 6 month delay.

Thread Information