double duty mixer: pa and live recording

solaris0031

ok so my buddies are playing a show in my school gym in a few weeks, and i've got P.A. duties. I'm going to be bringing my yamaha mg16/4 mixer, compressors for the vocals, and my fx processor just in case. I was thinking about bringing my daw too cos it fits in the bottom of my rack box, so i could try my hands at a live recording with the delta 1010lt im picking up tomorrow. So i was looking into it, and i found a cable that HOSA sells that claims to use the insert jacks on the mixer as direct outs without interrupting the mixer signal. I really would like to do something like this. especially because im worried that just doing the half-inserted trick could go wrong, i.e. it gets bumped and either interrupts the signal going thru the main outs for the pa, or comes out and stops the signal going to comp.

is there some easy way i can fashion my own cables like this? i cant see paying $10 for a 6 inch adapter thing.

You CAN make your own cables but it'd be more expensive than just buying them --- for now. You'd need to build a tool set from scratch and that requires a medium-sized investment.

Later on when you've done a few more projects and you know better what you need as far as cables go, then it'll be well worth soldering up your own. And it'll be a fine additional skill to add to the resume...

Not sure how much those Hosas are, but you could also use regular Insert cables, and run the outputs of the LT back into the mixer. You'd also need 1/4" to rca adapters

Back