Is It Dolby or not?

rezrecorder

Hi guys,

I have some old band cassettes from twenty years ago I would like to digitize; problem is some tapes were recorded with no Dolby, some with Dolby B and some with Dolby C. I can spot the Dolby C - with the Dolby set to OFF there is a breathing or pumping characteristic that gives the game away.

My problem is how to tell the difference between no Dolby, and Dolby B recordings on old cassettes that have lost their high end anyway so they seem "better" with Dolby off reguardless.

I understand that a Dolby B recording played back with Dolby OFF should sound artificially bright, and a non-Dolby recording played with Dolby B ON should sound muffled and bassy. Problem is that this is very subjective, and I just can't tell.

I know, my fault, I should have written on each cassette whether or not Dolby was used ('doh!). Hints, anyone?

REZ

rezrecorder said:
Hi guys,

I have some old band cassettes from twenty years ago I would like to digitize; problem is some tapes were recorded with no Dolby, some with Dolby B and some with Dolby C. I can spot the Dolby C - with the Dolby set to OFF there is a breathing or pumping characteristic that gives the game away.

My problem is how to tell the difference between no Dolby, and Dolby B recordings on old cassettes that have lost their high end anyway so they seem "better" with Dolby off reguardless.

I understand that a Dolby B recording played back with Dolby OFF should sound artificially bright, and a non-Dolby recording played with Dolby B ON should sound muffled and bassy. Problem is that this is very subjective, and I just can't tell.

I know, my fault, I should have written on each cassette whether or not Dolby was used ('doh!). Hints, anyone?

REZ
Frankly, I'd say it doesn't matter. Pick whichever one sounds the best for any given recording. As you say, casette tape recordings lose their high end as they age. Playing back a Dolby B recording with the Dolby turned off can sometimes actually make old tapes sound better.

I'd also recommend giving your playabck heads a good manual cleaning and demagnetizing first. That can make all the difference inthe world if the machine is as old as the tapes are.

G.

Back