Does my self specced mixer exist ?

jimjen

I am a real ham - v limited experience .
currently using sm58/57 red5 + xenyx1002 * alesis io2
but I have a few diverse projects - acoustic voice/guitar pc recording , live zoom , multi-channel synth
so what would fit the bill would be one unit

usb mixer for pc work
2 ins 60db gain for ribbon mics / ts option for guitar
inserts for outboard compressor
4 outs for quad sound
fx/aux send (and a couple of extra ins for the returns)
different headphone mix (click track)

I can sort of do all this except the quad out with separate bits
wondering if anyone has come across a single unit
and (ha ha) not looking at pro prices

Quad out? I haven't seen a quad system since the 70s! You could find something with 2 aux sends, but you're using one for an outboard compressor already.

not so using one for compressor and i want the compressors on the mic ins - inserts are usually trs so the insert socket is both in and out. the focusrite 4i4 has 4 outs but of course it isn't a mixer

and by quad i just mean 4 independent output channels - to go to 2 stereo amps

Thanks - Y I looked at the ZEDi but it doesn't have inserts for compressors on the mic ins. And the effects don't seem to accomodate that.

You could accomplish all of this with any of the 18x20 audio interfaces from the likes of Focusrite, PreSonus, Behringer, Arturia, Tascam, etc. The line outputs can be assigned from your DAW as hardware sends/returns for external FX or they can be used as outputs to monitors. You can control that either from your DAW or the software mixer that comes with most interfaces that have more than 2 inputs and 2 outputs.

The one requirement that's a little tougher to find on units like these are the inserts. As far as I can tell, only Arturia's Audiofuse 8Pre has inserts for 4 of its inputs. Some of Behringer's smaller U-Phoria interfaces have channel inserts, but apparently not their 1820.

Looks like the Audient ID44 has inserts for the 2 mic preamps onboard. Pair that with an external ADAT preamp like the Behringer ADA8200 and you'd have lots of I/O plus inserts.

Really any interface that comes with its own software mixer can turn spare line inputs/outputs into sends/returns to loop in outboard gear, so I wouldn't get too hung up on dedicated inserts. I admit that they are convenient though, for those times when you just want to build your signal chain on the front end and commit it like that.

Best of luck in your search.

You are probably going to have to build a "Bitza" a system made up of ad hoc small mixers, FX boxes and AIs or spend a lot of money on a really big mixer say $2000+

Depending on what you want to record with the ribbons I would aver that very few 'projjy' mixers and AIs are quite good enough but the likes of the FetHead solve that one.

Dave.

Thanks everybody for your input.
For the time being I shall continue with a mix of components.
A more integrated system looks too expensive.

Back