Do you really care about 24/96?

Does recording in 24 bit / 96 KHz really matter?

• No, I like regular old CD quality

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Yes, I have the ears of a Greek god

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • I like my recordings in between 16 bit and 44.1 KHz

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I like the sound quality of a Fisher Price Tapedeck

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters

Jamie Jukosky

Is 24/96 recording all that important? I've hear that there is debate whether the human ear can even detect the difference between 24/48 and 24/96.

oops screwed up on that 3rd poll option. It should read I like to record somewhere between 16 bit 44.1 Khz and 24 bit 96 Khz

I'm not bothered with 96k. I'm happy to go for 16/44.1, if necessary. My DAW however uses 24/44.1 as the standard recording mode - so I use that.

I don't really care about anything higher than CD quality right now. If I can't master my songs or have them mastered what is the use in recording at a higher rate. Can't hear it anyway.

From there, a mastering house if the project warrants it (from which a 16/44.1 Redbook is produced for duplication) -- or if the client is not mastering it, I punch it myself as needed then produce a 16/44.1 Redbook disc for the client.

You bet.... if I'm sending a project for mastering I'll send hi-res, otherwise I can let the Masterlink dumb down the hi-res mixdowns to Redbook.........!

In the olden days we had " the source quality rule" where the recording medium was meant to be of a higher resolution and fidelity than the final product

people think that the rule went away with digital, but thats just playing nutz

not for the nubmeister. I track at 24/96. Mix in analog. I record my two track masters with two different resolutions: One pass at 16/44.1 (for cd release) and another at 24/96 in case of future dvd releases. why resample and dither? even at the mastering stage. unecessary.

sweetnubs said:
why resample and dither? even at the mastering stage. unecessary.

This obviously shows that your deaf or totally unaware of why dithering is used. Or your purposely picking an argument. Anyhow...your statement about it being unecessary is false.

SoMm

my hearing is just fine. try it sometime. mix analog and record your two track master at 16/44.1. granted I use prism converters and aardsync. Now record your two track master at 24/96 then dither and resample to 16/44.1 Remeber I tracked at 24/96, mixed analog. With my final master no dithering and resampling were applied. It sounds better. I know plenty of engineers who work this way.

sweetnubs said:
my hearing is just fine. try it sometime. mix analog and record your two track master at 16/44.1. granted I use prism converters and aardsync. Now record your two track master at 24/96 then dither and resample to 16/44.1 Remeber I tracked at 24/96, mixed analog. With my final master no dithering and resampling were applied. It sounds better. I know plenty of engineers who work this way.

I see what you mean - thats pretty good. I'd do it that way if I had the technology!

I think this si the first post I've ever read by Sweetnubs that didn't make me think he was a joker............

Don't be fooled.:rolleyes:

I usually record at 16/44.1. I use digital as a writing tool, as soon as I get my whole first album planned out (could take years) I will begin recording those as scratch/timing tracks to analog (1' 16 track). Lately I've been messing around with 24/48k but it really isn't that huge a difference to my ears. If I opened a sesion I wouldn't automaticly go..."that's obviously 24 bit". But I use some cheap Alesis monitors so....

I'm sure sweetass will come in here ripping on me for not being pro enough.:rolleyes:

16/44.1 with high quality converters sounds better than 24/96 Notu converters. (yes I meant the spelling to be Notu)

>I have the ears of a Greek salad.

Brad likes to record Greek Style.

All of the inputs are plugged into the rear of the console. :eek:

I personally like 24/44.1 so that any digital manipulation after the fact has a few extra bits of resolution to smooth out the result.

Back