Direct Output of amp to audio interface

mdlm

I have a Scarlett 3rd gen, but I'm looking after a more professional sound.

I have one Marshall Origin 50C and I though I could use its preamp to get a better guitar signal, but amp direct output does not sounds well.

I have read that I would need a cab simulator if I want a good sound out of the amp DI, maybe a Palmer or a H&K Redbox.

Anyone tried this?

Maybe a better audio interface would be better?

You’ll get a more professional sound when you have enough experience and confidence and competence to get what you want out of what you’ve got. A new interface won’t help that. Using a live amp rather than a VST amp sim won’t help that. In fact, as you’ve seen, it’s put you a step back.

To answer the question yes unless you’re recording industrial you will are probably looking for something that sounds like a guitar speaker. You could use any of a number of cab sim IRs like many pros do. If you really feel like spending some money, you could find a hardware solution. Then you won’t be completely confident in that, and somebody will tell you that it will “sound more pro” if you get a reactive load box with speaker emulation. So go buy that but you still don’t really know what you’re doing, and somebody tells you that the only way to get a real pro sound is to mic a real speaker. Now you have to buy the right mice and then, of course yeah “better” preamps and your room sucks so you need some acoustic treatment and you still don’t know what you’re doing or trust yourself.

You could have saved thousands and recorded a bunch of stuff and learned and improved and probably at least some stuff worth keeping/sharing, but...

...no a new interface won’t help.

You’ll get a more professional sound when you have enough experience and confidence and competence to get what you want out of what you’ve got. A new interface won’t help that. Using a live amp rather than a VST amp sim won’t help that. In fact, as you’ve seen, it’s put you a step back.

To answer the question yes unless you’re recording industrial you will are probably looking for something that sounds like a guitar speaker. You could use any of a number of cab sim IRs like many pros do. If you really feel like spending some money, you could find a hardware solution. Then you won’t be completely confident in that, and somebody will tell you that it will “sound more pro” if you get a reactive load box with speaker emulation. So go buy that but you still don’t really know what you’re doing, and somebody tells you that the only way to get a real pro sound is to mic a real speaker. Now you have to buy the right mice and then, of course yeah “better” preamps and your room sucks so you need some acoustic treatment and you still don’t know what you’re doing or trust yourself.

You could have saved thousands and recorded a bunch of stuff and learned and improved and probably at least some stuff worth keeping/sharing, but...

...no a new interface won’t help.

+1 Any kind of 'emulation' is only going to be somebody else's idea of how a speaker/amp sounds, just a few filters is all. You can use the parametric EQ found in almost all DAW software to shape your tone as you please.

As a starting point, most emulators roll off the top end and boost around 100Hz. A whiff of reverb rarely hurts...

Dave.

Back