Direct Guitar Volume Question

xgarmothx

Shredmaster Alpha
Hey all,

I am recording guitars direct into my interface, boosting the signal and adding a bit of tube warmth with a Studio Projects VTB1 Preamp. I use Amplitube 2 for post-recording guitar modeling. I need advice on exactly how loud the "raw" guitars should be recorded.

When I record guitars "raw," I'm having trouble deciding how high in volume it should be, because in processing, the modeler seems to knock up the volume to an acceptable level (especially if the modeling effect involves any distortion/gain/fuzz) but I'm worried that, if I record the raw guitars too low, I'm going to get too much hiss and noise.

Thanks in advance!
MC

Thanks. So, as long as they don't clip upon recording, any plug-ins that I add that affect the actual volume aren't at risk of causing any craziness?

record your raw guitar pretty hot, but never clip!!!

im sure once you add your amplitube software, it may bump up the signal further, but that will only happen on certain models and using their presets.................. but cant you adjust the volume in samplitube via master "level knob" or maybe the "volume knob" on the amp model itself?????? and just turn it down so the amp model is not making the track clip????

Or try this. Turn off all effects. Hook up your guitar and hit a note about as hard as you plan to in the recording. Let it sustain. It should peak probably around no higher than -6db on your software meters, and should probably average around -12 to -18db on the meters.

Then add the FX and turn down the output/master volume of your FX so that the track isn't clipping on playback.

Or try this. Turn off all effects. Hook up your guitar and hit a note about as hard as you plan to in the recording. Let it sustain. It should peak probably around no higher than -6db on your software meters, and should probably average around -12 to -18db on the meters.

Then add the FX and turn down the output/master volume of your FX so that the track isn't clipping on playback.
Yeah that's how I'd do it too.

Back