Direct Guitar Recording

SetTheRecordJon

Im looking for a good way to record guitars direct through computer. I have tried an m-audio fast track interface, and a yamaha mg166cx-usb mixer to record in. For software i've been using garage band, and I used the guitar amp models they have available. Ive also tried using a sansamp in between the guitar and interface. Im looking for ideas on what works best for recording a good pop punk guitar tone. Ive looked into guitar processors and things of that sort, and have also thought about a new interface maybe or software?

I take the guitar into a DI box, then into an interface. Works fine. I also like to take the extra output of the DI to an amp and mic it as well then take mix the two signals for a good tone. I use a cheap DI box that I got a good deal on, but I recommend the Whirlwind IMP2. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg and works well. Most studios I've been around have quite a few of them laying around.

My problem is I cant mic up amps where i'm at. Ive tried DI'ing into my interface before and i didn't have very good results, it might be the amp models on garage band then

i use my live rig....

a '82 mesa boogie mark2b tube head, 60 watts...

thru a weber mass lite into a pair of 1x12 cabs, to control the volume..

but before the signal hits the weber, i steal a line level to go to my computer...... via a Palmer PDI-09
View attachment 75017

Passive DI Box for Guitars

this allows me to use my guitar rig just like i always do....

allows the palmer to capture the actual sound of the amp driving a cabinet....

no microphones involved, so i get a very consistent tone from session to session....

and i can always mix in an actual microphone along with the line level signal, and blend the two together....which is what i usually do.

if i need 'silent' recording, i just crank the attenuator down all the way, so there is still load on the amp, and record away on the headphones.

Some interfaces have a high impedance input for guitar/bass. For software you can check out the AmpliTube Custom Shop. Its free with 24 gear models and you can always add on gear from huge companies like Fender, Orange, Soldano, Ampeg, Jet City, Engl, Marshall and ton

My problem is I cant mic up amps where i'm at. Ive tried DI'ing into my interface before and i didn't have very good results, it might be the amp models on garage band then

I was just wondering why you don't take the line out of the amp into the interface. I know that most of the time it doesn't give the characteristic sound of the speaker cab that you get with micing the cab but if the line out is an emulated line out, its not real bad. Marshall amps have the emulated line out and I think I would be pushing it to try to pick the difference. I am talking about my own Marshalls - an MG250DFX solid state and a JVM410H tube amp. You get all the effects that you would otherwise get as well as any that you want to plug in and silent recording is possible with both.

Or do you mean that you don't have access to the amps where you are?

it is very easy to create line level outputs (DI) from full amplifier output

Don't confuse the OP! You need either a DI box which can accept amp ouput or an attenuator to do this. If its a combo amp, it might be necessary to disconnect the speaker leads and hook up a 1/4" plug to them. If its a solid state amp, you need to consider impedance matching.

don't misunderstand me...I still much prefer micing the amp. But when I can't, I use their rockerverb 50, tiny terror, twin (all of which I have in real life), and almost always the ampeg SVT classic bass rig. If amplitube would create a DR Z maz 18 I'd be set!

Back