Digi 002 question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VSProductions

I have the digi 002 rack, and Pro Tools 7. I just got mics and everything else together so i now im trying to learn how to work the stuff. I have the 4 mic pres in the digi 002 on my drum kit and a have a mixer with direct outs for each channel for an additional 4 pre's. im miking my guitar cab with a 57.

heres the problem..

first, i recording a simple drum beat, into 4 tracks and everything, applied some plugins and whatnot and thats great. then, i went to record a guitar part to the beat. i put my headphones on, hit record, start strumming, BUT in my headphones, i hear a very noticable delay between my strums and the sound coming out of the headphones. the delay is easily recognizable. the sound coming out of my guitar amp is right on with my strums and im not using any delay effects. i can't record with my drum tracks because the recording is half a second behind.

i tried using a digi mic pre, but i have the same problem. it always has a delay coming out of the headphones, with any mic, any preamp. even singing in the mic, it still messed up. i never noticed the problem before.

i even have the problem when im not recording, but listening through the headphones. i cant imagine it being a software problem because protools wasnt open and i heard it.

please just tell me my headphones crapped out. i just bought a new computer for this and it cost me quite a lot. i would also hate to have a broken Digi 002...

any help would be appreciated so much.

this has to do with your DAE Playback Buffer.
Your computer stores the audio for a brief time in order to give it enough time to process any work that needs to be done on it before it plays it out the outputs. When you have a ton of plugins, this is very important so that no audio glitches ocurr.
When you record you want the buffer setting as low as possible so that you don't hear the delay. When mixing, it's nice to have it as high as possible so that you audio has time to process but at the same time there isn't a huge delay from the time you press play to the time you hear sound.

Go to setups-->DAE Playback (i think that's the name) and adjust the Buffer size to around 256. Try that and see if it fixes your problem.

bennychico11 said:
this has to do with your DAE Playback Buffer.
Your computer stores the audio for a brief time in order to give it enough time to process any work that needs to be done on it before it plays it out the outputs. When you have a ton of plugins, this is very important so that no audio glitches ocurr.
When you record you want the buffer setting as low as possible so that you don't hear the delay. When mixing, it's nice to have it as high as possible so that you audio has time to process but at the same time there isn't a huge delay from the time you press play to the time you hear sound.

Go to setups-->DAE Playback (i think that's the name) and adjust the Buffer size to around 256. Try that and see if it fixes your problem.

Exactly what he said.

Hey Benny! What I wouldn't give to have you in my studio for 4 hours! You could teach me more about PT in that time than I could figure out in a year on my own. The parts that really get me are the parts that have more to do with Windows than PT. I can export Wav. files or PT sessions, but I haven't figured out how to produce the audio CD. God, it is hellish figuring out PT when you are a computer illiterate. Have some green chicklets for being such a helpful PT guru,-Richie

To get your session down to a 2 track stereo file for a CD, go to File>Bounce to Disk. Make it a 44.1/16bit Stereo Interleved file, and hit go. After it has finished, drop the AIFF (or whatever filetype) into your burner software.

Richard Monroe said:
Hey Benny! What I wouldn't give to have you in my studio for 4 hours! You could teach me more about PT in that time than I could figure out in a year on my own. The parts that really get me are the parts that have more to do with Windows than PT. I can export Wav. files or PT sessions, but I haven't figured out how to produce the audio CD. God, it is hellish figuring out PT when you are a computer illiterate. Have some green chicklets for being such a helpful PT guru,-Richie

thanks for the kind words, Richie...and the wonderful green internet gum :)
Anytime you have any questions on PT, feel free to PM me or you can find me and a bunch of other great help over at the Pro Tools Forum.
Regards,
-B

Richard Monroe said:

i second this, you're right on the ball. I'd love some Pro Tools private lessons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back