DI and overdrive

Is it ok to use a guitar overdrive unit like the Ibanez Tubescreamer inline to your interface if you dont have an amp??
What might be the difference than if you used it mic ing an amp like a little Fender reverb..?Would it be different than using the DAW onboard overdrives that seem to be so so..

Yes, a pedal can be inline. If there is a send / return use it on an insert.

My interface is the UA Apollo, it has a modeling VST system for amps. They are high quality. Offered from Softube.

You can run the tube screamer into the DI or Hi-Z input on your interface.

The difference from micing an amp is you are taking the amp out of the equation. If you want the Fender Reverb sound without micing it, you are going to need to use an amp sim VST that can replicate the Fender amp. The overdrive VST's are not going to add the Fender sound unless it is an amp modeling VST like Amplitube. But, you might get a great guitar tone just with the tube screamer going straight into the interface.

I've only ever recorded a real amp once. Peavey Bandit, actually. It sounded great for a clean twangy tone. For everything else, I have always used an amp sim pedal or an amp sim VST. I too have the Apollo interface and the Softube VST that LaserBeak mentioned sounds great for the Fender amp.

Something like the Joyo American (clone of Sansamp's discontinued "Blonde" character series) will give you both overdrive and amp simulation in a pedal. I had a Joyo AC Tone that was pretty good, too. (Gave it to Guitars for Vets - my friend has the American pedal.) They can be pretty effective, and are good backups to pack in case your amp goes fzzztt, too!

Back