DI buzz

I put a Fishman Neo D single coil pick up an an acoustic so I could use Direct In thru a Steinberg interface,mostly for practicing
but also to use effects in Garageband etc. Using 2 mics in stereo sounds alot better,no hum, but I like using DI
for its convenience too.
The problem is the slight buzz when using DI with this 35$ pick up. I probably wouldnt want to use it for tracking
DI because of that noise. Its not terrible or anything but not clean like using mics. ..a few questions about this..
If I plugged a decent Strat into the DI would I get that hum too???( I dont have one to test it)
What is a cheap solution or partial solution to de buzz it...?
I actuallly like screwing around with overdrive on my acoustic sometimes but its digital add on in GBand....
if I got a stand alone box for overdrive ( before interface)for electric and acoustic sometimes, how does that play with acoustic guitar pick ups ??
thanks

Single coil pups tend to have built-in hum (or buzz) if that's what you are experiencing and not some kind other hum/buzz.

Sometimes it's the position you stand/hold your guitar in. If you slowly rotate the guitar in a circle...does the hum/buzz change in intensity?
If so...then it's the pups. They tend to pick up interference easily, and you have to find the best position...also, increase the signal-to-noise...turn up.

Not sure if you can make it totally go away with some kind of isolation transformer device....or better DI....but if it hums/buzzes when plugged into an amp, then it is what it is.

probably no the DI cause the interface behaves well overall... moving around does nothing but touching the interface does quiet
it down some. Its not a ground problem because mics work fine with this interface.
But if the hum decreases when I touch the interface maybe I should tape a wire to the case and run it to a bare copper ground wire nearby
in an outlet...???anyone with experience with this know if that is worth doing?

That sounds like a grounding problem...or ground loop.
One major thing that a Strat will have that this type of pickup usually doesn't is a bridge ground. That is important because it shorts out the closest source of noise (you) so that it can't induce its noise into the coil. That's why touching the interface helps. This would not be a particularly easy thing to fix in most acoustic guitars.

Back