delay to widen

MilcoB

Using the simple delay in Ableton to widen your track my splitting the time just a little is the greatest technique I've come across.
What do you think??

Yeah, that don't usually work so good unless for ear candy effects. In what way are you using this technique?

I sure hope not the master bus... There are plugins that can do better than the Haas effect but a simple delay track is just fooling your ears in a stereo situation. Whether it good or bad is really up to you, but not typically ideal in practice. But there are no rules. Just sometimes unexpected poor results...

The Haas effect is one of the most dangerous things ever named by Haas.

That said - Back in the day, I was kind of a big fan of getting that ultra-wide kit sound -- I'd delay one of the mics maybe 7 or 11ms and the other by 13, 17 or 19ms (notice the prime numbers in there...?) to get that "Kill Em All" room.

THAT said - It's still "fake" -- It was typically better to move those mics out in an uneven fashion. Although it wasn't always possible. So delay, with constant consultation of the MONO button, was the usual workaround. Or a wide overhead and much smaller delays or a delay on only one side, which was especially tricky.

THAT SAID - As mentioned, it can be nifty on some things (an obvious pure stereo source, such as drum overheads or a discrete LR on a keyboard or room mics on BGVox, etc.) but absolutely terrible on others (a full mix for example, a mono source to be split without some sort of modulative effect on one source, etc., etc., etc.).

As others implied (by suggesting you check it in mono), there is more to making this technique work than that. A good youtube search will go a long way.

Back