Death Metal

Bloodsoaked said:
I just can not get a good guitar sound when I am recording. Any tips?

go listen to some of my songs. If you think the sounds are any good on any of them, I will give you tips. Otherwise, I would just be telling you to piss up a tree if I gave you tips on sounds you did not think were good.

what is your set up?

I play metal and have recorded mostly metal bands.
I am checking out your stuff now.
What kind of mic are you using to mic your amp? What kind of audio interface? The MG/DFX series of amps are not known for having good tone, but you can get decent death metal sound out of it if you have the right mics.

If you do find it with the MT-2, please do let me know.

I've been battling that whore for years.
Sounds decent to good live.

Mostly..., I'm just posting here as it is a topic of interest :rolleyes: :D

I do some slightly tounge-in-cheek stuff. Good music, really bad vocals, and tons of fun... :D

how'd you program the drums? Did you program all the fills yourself? I have been programming beats with my triton LE drum sounds. I just don't see how I could make really intricate drum beats with lots of fills and such.

Hey Metalhead28, I love the short death/black metal song you posted in another thread. I jsut can not get my guitar soung any good into my computer. You drum sound is awsome as well (drum machine). I also use a drum machine (I use Beatcraft) and I am still trying to get used to it. Do yu have any tips? What is your home recording set up like?

Feel free to go here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=481840 and check out my first home recorded song. There are 2 guitar tracks, two vocals tracks and one drum machine track. Give me some feedback.

Peter

Hey ericlingus, I use Beatcraft for my drum machine. It works pretty good and I did all the programing myself. I am not a drummer by any means but I think for my first rough copy of my first song it came out decent.

If you really want to surround yourself with metal heads, go over to harmony central amps forum, get mugged and assaulted a few times, then start asking questions. There's a ton of bs over there, but also a little bit of really good info IF you can find it.

Then come back over here for clean air.....

I do a bit of death metal/grincore stuff at home.

Things that I've discovered so far:

1. Double up every guitar part. Normally this will mean you have a total of 4 guitars playing at any one time (two in each speaker).

2. When micing an amp, try using an sm57(or similar) up next to the grill and mix that with a condenser mic placed a few feet away. It's also worth trying to mix a bit of direct sound in aswell.

3. DONT'T FORGET ABOUT THE BASS! Spend time getting a good bass sound that complements the guitar sound you already have. In death metal that's really what the bass does most of the time, it 'fills out' the guitar sound.

4.All the usual stuff about getting the best mics/pres you can afford.

how'd you go about making the drum fills though? Like the tom rolls and what not? How does the sequencer in the drum machine work? Could you tell me step by step how you do this? I'd really appreciate it.

Bloodsoaked said:
Hey Metalhead28, I love the short death/black metal song you posted in another thread. I jsut can not get my guitar soung any good into my computer. You drum sound is awsome as well (drum machine). I also use a drum machine (I use Beatcraft) and I am still trying to get used to it. Do yu have any tips? What is your home recording set up like?
Feel free to go here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=481840 and check out my first home recorded song. There are 2 guitar tracks, two vocals tracks and one drum machine track. Give me some feedback.
Peter

I think the main thing that is lacking in your track is the drum sound. I don't think the programming is too bad though.
If you are really looking for guidance for doing this sort of thing I'd have to recommend upgrading your software. If you really want to do convincing drums you need to use a sampler like "Drumkit From Hell" that will let you program the drums with alot of realism, and use very high quality sounds. You'd also need a decent MIDI sequencer like Sonar or Cubase or something like that.
Your guitar sound is definitely better than alot of people do when they are just starting. There are threads all over the place about getting big guitar sounds so I would suggest doing a little searching and a little reading.
You definitely need to get a bass guitar happening too. That will change how you approach the guitar to a certain extent.

If you've got any specific questions, fire away. The topic of recording music like this is a broad one indeed.

how do you track your guitars for black metal? What do you use, howmany tracks,etc? Also what drum sampler would you suggest I buy? Is battery any good? It's cheap that's all I know. What about BDF? or drumkit from hell. Out of all of those what is the easiest one to use? How do you program your drumbeats and how do you make fills. Please be specific about the fills. Right now i'm using cubase LE with a firebox, m audio bx5a's, a good computer from pcaudiolabs.com , a triton LE 61, a vamp2, a 210 v tone amp,an sm57, ATH T44 headphones, and a schecter diamond series guitar. I'd appreciate your help. Thanks.

ericlingus said:
how do you track your guitars for black metal? What do you use, howmany tracks,etc? Also what drum sampler would you suggest I buy? Is battery any good? It's cheap that's all I know. What about BDF? or drumkit from hell. Out of all of those what is the easiest one to use? How do you program your drumbeats and how do you make fills. Please be specific about the fills. Right now i'm using cubase LE with a firebox, m audio bx5a's, a good computer from pcaudiolabs.com , a triton LE 61, a vamp2, a 210 v tone amp,an sm57, ATH T44 headphones, and a schecter diamond series guitar. I'd appreciate your help. Thanks.

Are you asking me?

I don't think there is anything better than Drumkit From Hell Superior. As far as ease of use goes....that is not a consideration of mine, even though I think DFHS is actually pretty easy to use.
I program all of my drums in Sonar's piano roll view with nothing but a mouse. I draw in all of the fills one hit at a time and then adjust the velocities of the individual hits to try and achieve the most realism.

Hear a sample of some of my extreme metal programming in THIS THREAD

As far as guitars go, typically you'll want to do 4 tracks or more. 2 on either side. I usually do straight forward harmony parts in stereo with the main rhythm tracks. Sometimes I do an extra track or two for nothing but harmony parts and mix them in at different levels. There's not a set in stone way to do that. It's whatever the song calls for. you could talk endlessly about recording guitars, I'd recommend searching this forum a bit. Just about any "standard" heavy guitar recording advice applies to extreme metal just as well.

I have a vamp2 which has two outs. I plug the two outs into two line ins on my firebox. So should I record my guitars in stereo? Or mono?

ericlingus said:
I have a vamp2 which has two outs. I plug the two outs into two line ins on my firebox. So should I record my guitars in stereo? Or mono?

Most instruments record them mono....it's usually only synths,keyboards n such which require stereo.

Record 2-4 tracks of the same guitars but move the mic's about or change amp simulations then your sound should thicken up a little. Also pan these 2 left 2 right. When recording these dont do one and then copy n paste it...play it in!!! It will sound a million times better.

Remember that sometimes the sound that you have live is shite for recording so try moving mic's about or adjusting that sound at amp end to get a nice sound on the recording end....shit in = shit out, as they say.

*EDIT* Stereo tracks also take up more space on your h/d and all it is is a duplicate of the mono track both panned out.....

Back