Cymbalic Logic

Brad

I use a drum machine when recording, but I hate the cymbal sounds. Well, not so much the sound as the lack of realistic decay. I am considering buying some cymbals to mic up and record them along with the drum sounds from my machine. Does anyone out there use this technique? If so, could you offer some advice? Maybe a drummer can tell me about some nice sounding cymbals? Thanks in advance.
P.S. I only need ride/crash/splash cymbals, I will use the hi-hat from the drum machine.

[This message has been edited by Brad (edited 09-30-1999).]

Cymbal sound depends on what style of music you are playing. I used sabian AA and AAX for a live top 40 ish band they also worked well with my rock band. I also have a great k custom zildjian. Really dark and jazzy. Really depends on what sound you like.

I am considering going that route myself. I like the rides in my DM5, the crashes have to go, and the high hats are so-so, but I would rather have real ones. I am even thinking on getting a real snare to go with it.

Yes! I have been doing this for several years. (Adding live cymbals and percussion to drum machine parts). It works great...for some one like me who is not a real drummer!. My son has the drum set, and he plays great! But when I can't get him or another drummer into the studio for a basic track, I'll lay down a simple kick,snare and Hi Hat pattern. (Sequenced from a drum machine).

HOW TO DO IT:
1. Record basic drum track from machine
on one or two tracks. Keep levels hot!
2. Add cymbal crashes, shaker, tamborine
etc. on another track. (You can punch in if your timing is not perfect).
3. Add a third track if needed...(Cowbell,
claves, congas or timbales?)
4. Mix these tracks down to one track or two tracks for stereo. Make sure that the relative levels are correct. You got it!

NOTE: This must be done early in the project, in order to have enough tracks open to record on. Now you can record over the original tracks with guitars, vocals etc.

Dom Franco

Back