Crowd chant effect

axis_d

Hi everyone. I'm looking to create the sound of a crowd chanting a name in a song I'm making. Is there any type of plug in or effect that could accomplish this?

Specifically, you can hear what I'm looking for if you listen to Mike Jones song "mr jones". There is a crowd chanting his name at the beginning of the song about 40 seconds in.

Recording my voice from different places and voices around the mic doesn't seem like it would really cut it as I'm looking to create the illusion that it's an entire stadium full of people. Thanks in advance for the input.

Throw a big party - as many people as you can get. Make sure you provide food and drinks! Get them to chant whatever you want, recording multiple takes. Get them to move around hte room in relation to the mics, too, for a different sound, and tell them to try using different voices - make it a game. Then mix all together and add reverb.
Or if you have either 1) real fans; or 2) money, hire a stadium and get a couple of thousand people there!

I use polar in digital performer, set up a loop, get 3 or 4 people, and start recording the loops. use a click so they know when to chant, and just let it keep looping. I tell them ahead of time don't sound the same on every pass. Change from headvoice to upper voice, sing deep sing high , sing off key. It's not exactly the same but, with a bit of stereo widening, compression, some tape modulation and grit. and a room + small + large hall reverbs gently added in. It gets pretty close. You can also add in some doubling effects to change it up even more.

Do the real thing. It's not that hard. I've done it before. You don't need to hold a a party. 4 to 6 people will do it. Use stereo room mics, shuffle the people around between takes. Move the mics around. Use different mics. Do as many takes as your DAW can handle or your PC can keep up with. Drag some of the tracks plus and minus 12ms or so. Add reverb to taste.

plus, you could always sample the sound of a crowd, off of any recording, just a single pulse, and mix this in underneath the working tracks, just to accentuate the crowd effect.

Ok thanks for the replies everyone. I'll give it a shot and see what I come up with. I was hoping there was some plugin because I dont want it to sound cheesy...but we'll see!

Back