Connection Question

dsealer

I probably should have asked this question a long time ago, but I recently bought some new equipment and I've been rethinking some things.

I connect my mics, and some other things via snake.

I have a 20 channel (16 XLR & 4 ¼”) snake . So I've always run snake inputs into my preamp and then out from the preamp to my mixer. I then just plug my mics and things that need preamp boost into the snake. It's easier than going behind the preamp each time I want to plug or unplug a Mic or something.
But as I’ve said I purchased some new equipment and before I hook anything up I thought I'd ask if my connection routing is ok. I purchased the Mojave MA 200 Tube Mic (never owned a Tube Mic before ) and the Neve 5012 preamp.
Thanks,
Don…..

The snake is just cabling. The mic plugs into the equipment via a balanced cable. Just a thinner one. in a shared jacket. The only time you have problems is where balanced connections get converted to unbalanced. That doesn't seem to apply here, so all is well.

What Rob said. Picture a concert in a large stadium. Before the advent of digital technology, to get all those mics connected to the mixing console they had to go through a snake that was easily more than 300 feet long. They used the same XLR connection you're using on a snake that's a fraction of that. The losses in a snake that long are pretty small for most sources as long as they're properly balanced. I wouldn't use the snake for unbalanced connections.

Back