Compressor plug-ins: Would I still benefit using a DBX 160a COMPRESSOR?

King_Cobra

Hello everyone,

Hoping someone can help. I'm debating wether I should get a hardware compressor or stick with software. I currently work with Pro Tools for multi tracking. Using plug-ins form Sony's Oxford bundle to Universal Audio compressors. I mainly produce with synths, live bass and samplers-using a Avalon 737 or VOXBOX for recording bass and vocals. Since I have plug-in compressors and channel strips. Would I still benefit form another compressor? If so, please explain how? The compressors I'm interested in are the DBX 160a and TC Electronic Triple C.

I'm not sure which ones but a few of the dbx160's are actually sought after. However I'll tell you, I was never a big fan of software comps until I downloaded the Steven Massey CT4 plug. It's super simple but is simply the best plug-in comp I've ever heard. It's the first software comp I've ever put on drums and said "WOW"!!! Do yourself a favor and download the demo's of his CT4 comp and 2007 mastering limiter.

The DBX 160a is a decent comp, but its the 160 VU, 162 and 165's that are the sought after ones. VERY different sounding than the newer ones.

Back