Chris Cornell acoustic guitar sound?

yogisaint

I'm trying to get a similar acoustic guitar sound to that heard on Chris Cornell's "Seasons" or "Sunshower". I record acoustic instrumentals and need a good sound. If you would like to hear samples, I could post them somewhere. BTW, I have an AKG c1000s and SM57 recording a Takamine electric (parametric eq) and running through the smallest Behringer mixer (MX 602A). I use a Darla 24 to record into my computer.

use it all - the AKG about 1ft directly in front, the sm57 3-4" pointing back at the 13th fret and the direct feed from the guitar, mix them all together through the mixer and you should have it - if that doesn't work take extra guitar lessons.

Hate to burst your bubble, but your not gonna get that sound with the equipment you have. You could get kinda close, maybe.....double your parts too.

ametth

Useless Info Dept:

Chris Cornell's record was made in a house a couple of blocks from me and whenever I'd hear Josh Freese start laying down drums I'd take the dog for another walk just to listen. I felt kinda like a dork, but DAMN that guy can play...

Thank you for the replies. I especially appreciate the mic placement info. I realize that they were probably using much more expensive equipment and there is definitely some doubling going on. I guess that I want to know what effects were used (compression, reverb, etc.) Where the guitars are in the stereo field. Basically, what types of techniques were used after the initial guitars were recorded. I guess that it helps to have a very expensive microphone. Anyways, thanks for the help.

I read an article with Chris a while back and he was talking about how he recorded 2 tracks. One for the lower triad and one for the higher triad and panned slightly left and right. I'm not sure if that was electric or acoustic but it worth a shot.
Wally

Back