cheap tom mic

ollie99

is there any mics people would suggest for a floor tom? I think £30 at most and its alright to be used. It'll be alongside tom mics from the CAD stage 4 set so I want it slightly similar to the toms in the set, but any suggestions would be appreciated :) thanks

I know you've laid out your budget, but for about £70 you can get a used d112 on a good ebay day.

That's a great mic to have knocking around for bass, kick, floor tom, speech, voice.....whatever. :)
Might be worth saving up a little?

well I'll see how things go, because I'm saving up for the tascam us1800. I have about £70 now, however, because it would be primarily for my band's use my friend suggested we all put in £50 (5 of us) and I'll just pay the extra. So if we do do that (which I really hope we do) then I would only need to save up another £70. AND hopefully by then I will be doing some football refereeing which will help me earn lots of money faster :D

Cool man. It'd be money well spent if you wait that bit longer.
Who knows, maybe someone else will come in with a cheaper/better suggestion too.

I have looked into the d112 before and I did think it looked good.
I suppose it would be good to start building my collection of good mics, I guess the d112 would be there for a while - way longer than the cad mics for sure

That's what I'm thinking.
I started out with a samson 7kit, and I can't say I didn't learn from them, but I did end up replacing each mic one by one.

This is on all my toms. It's clearly styled after a Shure SM57, but it has better low end response (in my opinion) and absolutely kills for the price. (For what it's worth, I think they were twice this much when I bought 'em, and I'm still thrilled. I just looked 'em up to share the link with you, and I can't believe the new price. I'll probably buy a few more.) I own about 100 mics, and these are still my tom mics. And at this price, I think it's about 19 pounds, no? Problem is--do they ship internationally?

Official Speaker Repair Site - Orange County Speaker - Home of GLS Audio GLS Audio ES-57 ES57 Professional Microphone Mic

I checked out the shipping prices.
It asked for zip code so I put in a UK postcode.

It accepted and spat out "USPS Priority Mail (1-3 Days) $10.95"

Whether that can be trusted, I don't know, but usually non international forms will say "zip code not recognised"

I checked out the shipping prices.
It asked for zip code so I put in a UK postcode.

It accepted and spat out "USPS Priority Mail (1-3 Days) $10.95"

Whether that can be trusted, I don't know, but usually non international forms will say "zip code not recognised"

Yep, I think you're right. By pure chance, I was just checked out the SoundCloud page of another member (saw a link in the MP3 Clinic) and he had a track called "GLS ES57 guitar trial." And he's in the UK. So yeah, I'm guessing they do ship internationally.

Hey ollie99--

I've got a proposal for ya. I'm not using my mics much these days since I lost my house drummer (and I'm moving in the near future--bye bye studio). Besides, I've got extras. PM me your address, and I'll ship you one to check out. If you don't like it, send it back. If you do, it's yours. I know it sounds crazy--but ask around, I do crazy things like this. It at least saves you the risk of shelling out cash for something you don't know about.

WS

Not interfering with Strats suggestion at all, (that's really cool of you btw),

but if you're buying, definitely go through the website. The total was £25....not £50.

Obviously I didn't actually buy it, but it looked like there wouldn't have been a problem.

Last edited:
Grab a second hand SM57.

I agree with this depending on the floor tom size, my drummer has two floor toms, but if we put "kick" mic on both they sound too similar, SM57 on one and d112 or B52 on second actually splits the tones a bit better I think but he loves buying stuff so we always have tons of mics to play with.

Grab a second hand SM57.

I agree with this depending on the floor tom size, my drummer has two floor toms, but if we put "kick" mic on both they sound too similar, SM57 on one and d112 or B52 on second actually splits the tones a bit better I think but he loves buying stuff so we always have tons of mics to play with.

Agreed. That's why I recommended the ES57. It's a very popular SM57 "clone" that is even cheaper than a used 57.

Are you telling me the floor toms are the same size??? If they are not the same size, tuning should make them sound different not the different mics.
Alan.

No but when you have two floor toms and 5 rack toms things get a little muddled especially at the low end the low for Tom sounds closer to a kick and the mid floor Tom only slightly above that. More for separation than actual tone sorry for the confusion.

No but when you have two floor toms and 5 rack toms things get a little muddled especially at the low end the low for Tom sounds closer to a kick and the mid floor Tom only slightly above that. More for separation than actual tone sorry for the confusion.

Oh don't you just love it when these drum kits turn up for a recording session :facepalm: Recently my own band did some recording and our drummer has 2 rack toms and 2 floor toms, I actually used 1 mic on the two rack toms and 1 mic on the two floor toms to reduce the amount of spill, and it worked really well. The overheads are the most important mics anyway and they capture the toms. I should point out that the toms and floor tom mics were medium 3/4" condensers, AT3525's which are not longer available but are similar to AE3000.

Cheers
Alan.

Back