Cheap Studio Monitors

mfa

I get it. Studio Monitors are sooo important. But I am just starting out and I need to get off the ground with a pair of speakers/monitors for like $100, of which there are plenty to be had.

1) What do you suggest?
2) I notice that some have 1/4" plugs in both, but some cheaper models have 1/4" in one, and then the old "speaker wire pincher connection" for the second speaker. Why is this? Does is signify cheapness?

while something might be better than nothing....Ive also another pair of my first Yorkville YSM1P that have >thousands of hours and work like new still...they were the most recommended back a decade ago. I would think those are around $150 pair by now if you find a set?

option B?
USED shopping...Ive picked up KRK USA V6 for $200 used and a pair of DYNAUDIO BM5A for $180 used which are pro level.

option C: With 0% interest, maybe grab something New a bit more money, in the 6" or so...for a nice nearfield monitor that will last for years.

good luck...

About a month ago I sent my son a set of those. He lives in France and is very happy with them. His recordings are mainly of classical guitar, Bach and such so the restricted level and LF response of the wee speakers is not an issue. Not going to be useful for EDM or D&B but for 'light' music or speech a good starting point? (I heard them in a hi fi shop)

I doubt Presonus would attach their name to something truly awful!

Dave.

Back