CCR, Fortunate Son

six

Hi there

Considering my age, I must have already overheard this song a hundred times, but only today I really listened to it and BANG! it became my present favorite song.

I've always liked the way 70s rock recordings sounded (for example Bad Company's "Can't get enough" or some of the old KISS stuff), but this CCR song really thrilled me.

As a consequence and late new year's resolution, I want at least one of my next recordings (which are not even written yet) to sound "Fortunate Son"-ish.

Ok, ok... I'm a digital homerecorder... but if you have some tipps on how to get at least in the right direction (or any articles on the production?), I'd appreciate them.

Thanks a lot & regards.

that song sounds so great because of the fact that it's an amazing song. The recording isn't THAT great, other than that fact that it compliments the song perfectly.

Great song, anyway.. was way before my time, but still rings true.

I know that the recording / mix is not what one would consider a masterpiece, but nevertheless I want to go in that direction.

So where to start? I have no clue how they tracked and what mixing tricks were commen in the late 60s and early 70s.

The only thing I can tell is that the drums sound a lot like "Gimme Some Lovin" or motown stuff.

in fact, if the recording (and mix!) compliments the song perfectly -and it does- the recording/mixing job IS a masterpiece...

but yeah, if you would like that sound, you have to turn into mr. foggerty. Analog recording and double tracking the guitars and vocals in a good big room would be a nice start though...

just my three cents

...the above, plus some comps/limiters of the kind people now sell their condos to own, a good set of ears behind the board, and good, tight playing.

C.

Back