[SOLVED] Cassette-to-computer Mastering Problem

Veronique 65

Hello all,
I've had an odd problem develop recently. I've been mastering albums from four-track cassette to MP3 via Goldwave for over ten years. Suddenly, I've had a change in signal quality. For the first few seconds, the sound is normal; then the incoming signal becomes weaker and there is a strong phase-shifting sound. Yet, if I plug the exact same machine through the same cord from the same outputs into an amplifier or other sound source, there is no such problem and the tape sounds normal. This is also the same if I stop the tape and rewind or otherwise start it over. It sounds fine, then the effect kicks in. Similarly, I tried to send the output through the headphone out jack instead of the stereo outs. The same thing happened--weird weak signal, phase shifting sound. And yet if I listen through that same headphone jack through a headset, it sounds perfectly normal. I've never had anything like that happen before in years of recording this way. My experiments tell me it can't be the machine because it sounds normal plugged into anything other than my computer--could the computer be the problem? (unfortunately I only have one computer with separate mic and speaker inputs).
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
You are sending the stereo cassette sound into the mono mic input of the computer? If so, then the problem is the A-D conversion in your computer's soundcard. Get an inexpensive USB soundcard with 2 channel capability.

Can you give us a bit more info on the computer, model, OS and version, soundcard (onboard or card), processor?

Any recent OS updates? Windows is pushing out a new update, maybe along with driver updates. Its possible there's an issue there. Its also possible that you are getting a hardware failure. Maybe try a different source (a cell phone or stereo receiver) to see if the drop still happens. If it does, then you can pretty well figure its in the computer, but until you determine if its hardware or software/driver it's going to be tough to diagnose. If it doesn't show up, then you might be having an issue with the output section of the cassette.

Can you give us a bit more info on the computer, model, OS and version, soundcard (onboard or card), processor?

Any recent OS updates? Windows is pushing out a new update, maybe along with driver updates. Its possible there's an issue there. Its also possible that you are getting a hardware failure. Maybe try a different source (a cell phone or stereo receiver) to see if the drop still happens. If it does, then you can pretty well figure its in the computer, but until you determine if its hardware or software/driver it's going to be tough to diagnose. If it doesn't show up, then you might be having an issue with the output section of the cassette.

The computer is an HP Pavilion 23 all-in-one from 2013. There have been recent Windows updates, so it is possible. The drop doesn't still happen if I plug it into a guitar amp, PA, or headphones. It's definitely something to do with the computer.

You are sending the stereo cassette sound into the mono mic input of the computer? If so, then the problem is the A-D conversion in your computer's soundcard. Get an inexpensive USB soundcard with 2 channel capability.

Is this something that can go bad later on? Because I've successfully used this computer and mic input successfully for mastering for seven years. It's definitely stereo.

The HP manuals don't give much info, but I did find one place that reviewed it and it had a list of ports.

It does say that the input is for stereo microphone. I wonder if there is a setting that is reducing the volume because the input levels have changed somehow. Microphone levels would be MUCH lower than line level outputs of your cassette.

Go into the audio settings, look at recording levels and see if they are maxed out to 100. If so, it may be automatically reducing input level. Also check that no "audio enhancements" are enabled. They can screw things up massively, changing EQ, making fake soundstage, etc.

Guys, thank you very much for the help, but after chasing this problem for a month I've FINALLY figured it out. I had to do a factory reset on this computer about two months ago because it had fatal flaws. What I had forgotten is that there is a mic setting in the control panel called 'adaptive noise reduction.' Once I disabled this feature, the sound went completely back to normal. Thank you all again for your help and suggestions.

Back