can you usually capture the actuall sound coming out of the cabinet?

videodrone

when recording, the sound out of my cab sounds great but it is always different when I listen back through my monitors (YSMi)

I have been noting the diffrences and than maing teh differences at teh amp so that I hear that in teh monitors,

Is this the correct way to do this or should I be concentrating on how to get that SAME tone for the amp to the monitors,

Iv experimented with mic positions to, I usually do a inch away on teh outside center iof the speaker,

It all depends on how you want your guitar to sound. Usually the guitar sound coming out of your amp and what you're recording is different (well it is for me). When I record guitar I usually turn gain and bass lower then I would if I were playing live to get the guitar tone I want.

How accurate it sounds depends on a lot of factors. If you have a cheap signal path like most home studios then there will definately be some coloration to make up for.

You also have to remember that you are not listening to the amp 1" away from the speaker so you may be getting a more accurate recording than you realize. Try backing the mic off a few feet if you like that sound better.

EV 635a

Sometimes a different mic can make a world of difference. A cheap mic that will make your jaw drop on guitar cab is the EV635a. It is a will provide you with exactly what your cab sounds like, no more and no less.

I find 57 either works or doesn't. It seems to work great on high gain amps like a Marshall JCM900. It doesn't always work so well on low wattage amps. At least those are my findings.

Of course a nice EQ goes a long way, but why do it if you can just stick a mic up there that makes the recording sound like the amp. That way you can blame the amp and not the microphone.

Beez

hhhmmmmmmm

1) Follow Tex's advice

2) Try using more than one mic...maybe 2. One close and one farther away for more room.

3) If using 2 mics, try to use 2 different ones...a cardioid and a dynamic maybe...

4) Reduce gain and or distortion...you'll be surprized.

Of course what you hear from the cab is not the same as what you hear recorded. You are listening in stereo and micing in mono. Also you are not that close to the cab as tax said. Sometimes the response from the mic is not the better one for that application. Many many things can make the sound different from the one you hear.

Peace...

PC

For live work I have started using a LDC ( Berry B1) positioned about 150mm (6") from the speaker grill and aimed at about 1/3 of the way into the rad of the speaker (If that makes sense).

Since changing to a LDC I have found that the sound is much more like the original and for EQ all I do is roll off the bass @ 80-120hz @ 12db/octave.

PowerCouple said:

4) Reduce gain and or distortion...you'll be surprized.

Yup.

Have ou ever noticed that the guitars in Stairway to Heaven, near the end where the lyrics are "And as we wind on down the road..." are totally clean? That is a heavy part and totally rocks, but the guitars are clean and heavily compressed. Less distortion = bigger sound.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

wilkee said:
Since changing to a LDC I have found that the sound is much more like the original and for EQ all I do is roll off the bass @ 80-120hz @ 12db/octave.

I've been noticing the same thing.

Large-diaphragm condensers, for some reason, are just giving me a sound much closer to what I'm hearing out of the amp. Like it's sitting right in front of me.

chessrock said:
I've been noticing the same thing.

Large-diaphragm condensers, for some reason, are just giving me a sound much closer to what I'm hearing out of the amp. Like it's sitting right in front of me.

I used to use one of the recommended dynamics for this job and it just was not right.

I have also had good results with a cheap chinese Tom mic that did not have a presence boost.

The only thing wrong with using the LDC at live events (small clubs and pubs) is everyone thinks I am just posing?

Little do they know my berry B1 costs less than any decent dynamic.

What IS the actual sound coming out of the cabinet?

Move 3 feet to the left and everything changes.

There is no one sound that comes out of a cab, there are heaps of different sounds (harmonic blends) in different positions.

I've started using more LDCs on amps also. It's one of the few jobs I like the SP C1 on. If your room is really dead sometimes a 57 is a little too dull sounding.

my two favorite mics overall are an sm57 and an NTK. so i figured why not try them together on the amp (Fender Hotrod Deluxe). the sm57 is just off center of the cone, and the NTK is anywhere from 3-6 feet back and anywhere from straight out to 2 feet up. the mixture of the two is giving me a really good sound with enough attack and tone to fit into most mixes. in other words why not combine the close miced dynamic and a far miced LDC?

willovercome said:
my two favorite mics overall are an sm57 and an NTK. so i figured why not try them together on the amp (Fender Hotrod Deluxe). the sm57 is just off center of the cone, and the NTK is anywhere from 3-6 feet back and anywhere from straight out to 2 feet up. the mixture of the two is giving me a really good sound with enough attack and tone to fit into most mixes. in other words why not combine the close miced dynamic and a far miced LDC?

Because of the way I record (usually live) I want to minimise any room effects or on and off stage noises. So it is important thet I get the right sound from the cab, not just hang an SM57 on the front like a lot of pepes.

I use my "berry b1" not because it sounds better than my other LDCs. (which it does not, my fav is my NT1000) but because if it gets damaged i.e. by a mad axeman, I will not cry my eyes up or get hit too hard in the pocket.

Tony

this is always a good rule i follow for close micing a cab...
closer to the center of the cone = midrangey/highs very apparent. Further you get = more bassy/muddy even!

No, this doesnt mean mic dead center of the cone...but i usually go to the middle, then move another step or 2 towards the cone...then listen back until i like what i hear. Often, I'm able to get what comes out of the cab pretty closely at least.

Back