Can Audient ID4 Record MIDI and Audio Simultaneously?

gvdv

I like the sound of the preamps on the Audient ID4.

I realize that it is aimed mostly at songwriters who are working by themselves or with one other person, and know that the ID4 has been designed to accommodate the kind of workflow in which using more than one or two inputs simultaneously is not the aim.

However, I know that it is possible to use, say, a mic. and a guitar at the same time.

But is it possible to record audio (e.g., guitar, or mic.) and MIDI at the same time?

I often like to record both the audio and MIDI from my keyboard at the same time - hence the question.

Thanks for any replies.

Any interface that has midi and audio inputs can send them simultaneously to a DAW.

However, the DAW also needs to be able to record them simulataneously, i.e. you need to prepare a track to record midi and another to record the audio. Most contemporary DAWs can do this.

The Audient ID4 does not have MIDI input/output. It's got a USB connection for power and audio out to your computer. If your keyboard has MIDI through a USB connection, you can plug that directly into your computer and you should be able to select it as the MIDI input device in your DAW.

Any interface that has midi and audio inputs can send them simultaneously to a DAW.

However, the DAW also needs to be able to record them simulataneously, i.e. you need to prepare a track to record midi and another to record the audio. Most contemporary DAWs can do this.

Thanks, gecko.

Yes, I can record both simultaneously (I use Reaper), and have been doing this successfully with my current audio interfaces and computer.

The Audient ID4 does not have MIDI input/output. It's got a USB connection for power and audio out to your computer. If your keyboard has MIDI through a USB connection, you can plug that directly into your computer and you should be able to select it as the MIDI input device in your DAW.

Hi mjbphotos,
Thanks.

Yes that is the way I do it at the moment, but I think I kind of forgot that when I posted my message, so I apologize for any confusion.

However, most of the 4 or 5 audio interfaces I have accumulated over the years do have two MIDI DIN 5 pin inputs/outputs, so I suppose I was used to seeing them (even though I do not use them).

I have MIDI on my interfrace, as you are used to seeing. I also have keyboards with USB midi, either in addition to, or instead of, DIN MIDI.

The answer is still yes.

I also use Reaper.

You can create a track to record the audio, selecting an input from the interface, and another track to record the midi, selecting the USB device as a MIDI input. If you don't see the keyboard as a selectable midi device, you may need to go into the Reaper preferences to enable it.

I have MIDI on my interfrace, as you are used to seeing. I also have keyboards with USB midi, either in addition to, or instead of, DIN MIDI.

The answer is still yes.

I also use Reaper.

You can create a track to record the audio, selecting an input from the interface, and another track to record the midi, selecting the USB device as a MIDI input. If you don't see the keyboard as a selectable midi device, you may need to go into the Reaper preferences to enable it.

Thanks, gecko zzed.

Back