CAD Premium 7-Piece Drum Microphone Kit

Zach Frazier

How good is the CAD Premium 7-Piece Drum Microphone Kit when it comes to recording drums for drum covers. I am new to drum covers and these microphones are in my price range, and I have been using the Pyle Pro PDKM7 microphone kit and I was wondering if I would see a big difference between these two microphone packages.

They're better live mics than recording mics but they'll do. I used some for a long time and did fine. The kick mic and SDCs are pretty junky but they'll work with some EQ and smart placement..

More importantly, no mic will matter if your drums and room sound like ass.

I, unfortunately, do not have any input with the Samson kit, but I actually own the CAD kit. I can basically echo what Greg_L said. It is better for doing live work. They can be used for recording, but your not going to get the best quality out of them. I have, over the time, been substituting mics from that kit out with new mics that I have been purchasing when I record drums. Again, I have not used the Samson's, but I would assume they are comparable.

Do you have other mics of your own? Depending on the amount and what other mics you have, you may be able to use them for drums and then maybe just get a select mic or two to fill in the wholes and record a whole set? Just a suggestion.

I use the KBM412 kick mike, and I get reasonable results from it. I've no doubt that there are better kick mikes around.

I don't like the CAD condensers, but the little TSM 411 mikes for snare or tom work fine.

Back