Bypassing pre-amp???

R

RAMI

For patching purposes, it's alot easier for me to plug into my external pre-amp and bypass it (if I'm not using any of it's features), than to go straight into my mixer. It just saves me some un-plugging and re-plugging, etc....

If I plug into it and hit the BYPASS button, am I truly by-passing it, or am I only bypassing it's features (compression, etc....), while it's still "coloring" the signal???

For patching purposes, it's alot easier for me to plug into my external pre-amp and bypass it (if I'm not using any of it's features), than to go straight into my mixer. It just saves me some un-plugging and re-plugging, etc....

If I plug into it and hit the BYPASS button, am I truly by-passing it, or am I only bypassing it's features (compression, etc....), while it's still "coloring" the signal???

Fucker Rosario here :D

what model of preamp are we talking about here? I would imagine any bypass button would apply to the dynamics/EQ section of the preamp only. I can't imagine bypassing the pre without some serious modifications. I almost want to go ahead and say, "sorry, but you just might be running your signal through the preamp twice", but I can't be 100% sure. I'm only going on general intuition and experience. I've heard about modified preamps before, but I haven't heard of one you can bypass entirely. Unless we're talking about some weird dual in-line preamp here.

Dual in-line consoles are designed to repass the signal through the channel strip without using the preamp. For example, the Ghost console (Fairview owns one) has that ability. But that's the channel strip, not the preamp. This is a feature you find mostly on medium to large format consoles to record and mix on the same board.

Perhaps someone can share a magical tale of such a heroic preamp?

Last edited:
Hey there, Rami,

This doesn't directly answer your question because I'm not positive, but I don't think there is necessarily a "standard" for where in the circuit the bypass jumps in. A simple test would be to simply switch in the bypass and see if the input gain control actually does anything.

But reading your post, the first question that popped into my mind was whether you're using a patch bay in your set-up. Yeah, reaching behind the mixer and the other gear to move cables around can be a real pain, for sure, but with a well-planned patch bay and a couple of small patch cords, it's a no-sweat no-brainer and can give you easier flexibility all around.

G.

Rami, sounds like what you're talking about is a hardwire bypass. I haven't used a standalone pre that does this, but my RNLA limiter does.

A simple test would be to simply switch in the bypass and see if the input gain control actually does anything.

OK, you fuckers answered it. :D

Glen's suggestion above confirmed it for sure, though. The input control still works in bypass mode, which means the pre=amp is still affecting the signal. (I knew that even before posting, but I was in denial :( )

Time to get a patch-bay.

Thanx you......you cork-soaking ice-holes!!!!!!

:p:D:cool:

Last edited:
Back