Building a home studio...XLR to XLR?

dcpicker

We are getting ready to wire a small little home studio and trying to figure out the best way to go from a wall jack in the recording room to the other wall jack in the recording console room. These are to be mic inputs. Is XLR female to XLR male the way to go? If we want to send keyboard signals through this line do I have to use a direct box? Thanks alot.

I just put in some "Passthru" jacks between
my control room and the live room. I put in some XLR's and 1/4" also. I do get a little hum from the 1/4", but it is not noticable when the signal is present. Keep your Guitar cables as short as possible and the 1/4" jacks will work just fine.

Sincerely;
Dom Franco

I'd go ahead and wire the 1/4" as TRS balanced - doesn't hurt regular 1/4" unbalanced but gives you some flexibility to use more balanced connections when you can.

Bill

I would recommend the following:

Buy a SNAKE and run it from one room to the other for XLRs.

For 1/4 or other line inputs: mount a patch panel in the wall betyween the two rooms. You can get patch panels that have TRS jacks, balanced and unbalanced jacks, RCA Jacks and various combinations of these that will fulfil your every need.

Good luck.

Cordially,
the guitar half of "RockNGunz"

Back