Budget Tracking Headphones?

Folkcafe

I've got a session coming up recording drums, bass and guitar and looking for some affordable closed back headphones for tracking. I only have one pair of close back which is the Shure SRH940. At $300 each, not exactly in the budget. I have a couple pairs of Shure in-ears but the guitarist is already balking at the idea ( I may still insist he at least try it).

Any good budget choices out there? Sweetwater has a deal on the AKG K175 for $69 for 2 or 4 for $99. Anyone think these are a viable option?

Studio has a 6 channel headphone amp and 6 aux's to mix individual monitor mixes, so that part is covered.

If you're not going to be using them to record vocals...go ahead and get them at that price. I have a feeling they don't isolate too well. Remember....any of those guys could use open backs just to do their tracks...as long as they're not doing vocal backups or harmonies at the same time. Use your best closed backs for tracking vocals.

Mick

If you're not going to be using them to record vocals...go ahead and get them at that price. I have a feeling they don't isolate too well. Remember....any of those guys could use open backs just to do their tracks...as long as they're not doing vocal backups or harmonies at the same time. Use your best closed backs for tracking vocals.

Mick

Thanks, for the input. What I have for headphones currently isn't really studio friendly except for the Shure's. I have a pair of noise cancelling for when I traveled for work and a couple bluetooth everyday pairs. In-ears are decent but one set has custom molds for my ears for when I was doing live sound.

Studio has been in idle for over 10 years and it is taking quite a bit to get it back in working order budget wise.

I used to spend a lot more time keeping up with all the new gear but in browsing Sweetwater, I'm a bit lost. Looking for advice on what is going to be drummer and bass player friendly that I can get a couple pair of for up to $150. Cheaper, even better.

Just for tracking, I'd recommend these Tascam TH-200X which are normally $99 but are on sale for $19.99 (includes 3.5mm 1/4" adapter). These are 32-ohm so will deliver adequately.

Tascam TH-200X Studio Headphones - Newegg.com

p.s. I have noticed if you do not use the above link and go directly to NewEgg or MF's looking for these phones, the selling prices are much greater than the $19.99 found in this link. MF's direct price is $99.99 and NewEgg's $145.90 !!!!

Last edited:
Just for tracking, I'd recommend these Tascam TH-200X which are normally $99 but are on sale for $19.99 (includes 3.5mm 1/4" adapter). These are 32-ohm so will deliver adequately.

Tascam TH-200X Studio Headphones - Newegg.com

Thanks, I ordered a couple pairs. Funny the order is fulfilled by Musician's Friend. Delivery date is about 10 days out but I still have plenty of time, just running out of money.

Thanks, I ordered a couple pairs. Funny the order is fulfilled by Musician's Friend. Delivery date is about 10 days out but I still have plenty of time, just running out of money.
I've been getting Amazon orders this month and they seem to be back on their regular, non backed-up scheduling. I even got a couple pieces a day or two ahead of schedule.

Man, these headphones used to be $20. They were great for tracking and sounded halfway decent for just listening.

Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD 202 II Professional Headphones (Black): Home Audio & Theater

Still, not a completely bad price and they are good for tracking.

What's ironic is that the pair of headphones I remember nostalgically is the Sennheiser's I bought around the mid 70's. They were this simple plastic band with sliding ear pieces with the classic yellow foam pads. Practically weighed nothing and you could wear them all day. Haven't owned a pair of Sennheiser's since but if they still had those...

When I outfitted the studio 20 years ago, I purchased a bunch of Yamaha RH-5Ma's and a couple of AKG 240m's for tracking. Kids took the AKG's and I have one semi-working pair of Yamaha left but it buzzes on heavy bass. As for my other headphones, I seriously think I have a headphone problem as I've way too many. My wife is going to think I'm nuts when she see's the box with more headphones. The only thing that will save me is the receipt for $40 bucks. The more I save on headphones though, the more I'll have to re-fill the mic cabinet. A lot of the one's I had, I wish I never sold.

Order arrived this morning. First impressions. Fit nice and tight around the ears. Build quality seem decent enough and are reasonably light weight. A bit bass heavy but for what I want but probably a good thing for the application. I have parametric on the headphone monitor output if I need to dial it back a bit. Not exactly a listen all day pair of headphones but for $20 they are a killer deal. Thanks again for the recommendation and link. Ordered a couple more.

Monday I start pricing out materials for sound treatment for the soundstage and bass traps for the control room. I've a few extra bucks now for that.

Definitely not for all day mixing.. great for tracking. I agree with the bass heavy, but I'm a bass player who loves 'em for it :listeningmusic:

Back