Bit depth compatibility . . .

Maybe that seems like the same thing...but it's not, and personally, I would avoid constant resampling on-the-fly...since it's just that much more work for the DAW to be doing while it's also trying to run FX and processing in real time.
No, it's not the same thing though ultimately it accomplish the same thing if you don't otherwise need those resampled files for other things. I'm not sure that it really makes enough difference CPUwise. I wouldn't bother "bouncing" until it actually becomes a problem, and at that point I'd also probably be applying FX and all.

Reaper does have separate settings for resampling quality for playback and for rendering, though, so that you can use a faster but slightly less accurate process when listening and then crank it up to the best possible when actually creating files. It does not ever give you the option to NOT resample, though.
I'm not sure if you guys get the option to allow (or not) for the pitch to change when doing bounces...?
??? The whole point of the conversion/resampling is to avoid the pitch change.

I can stretch things in time by changing "playrate", and that can either change pitch or not. With the pitch change, it's not much different from sample rate conversion. Without the pitch change, it's more of what I call resynthesis, and is not a whole lot different from autotune, melodyne, or other pitch adjustment software.

??? The whole point of the conversion/resampling is to avoid the pitch change.

Yes...90% of the time.
I'm asking do you even have the option to choose. :)

AFA the CPU thing...I don't know, since my DAW doesn't work like that (though it can do active resampling, if I choose to)...but if there's a situation where you have one project sample rate, you import a few files at other sample rates, that are now being actively resampled on the fly with each playback pass...and you also need to record new tracks at the correct, project sample rate, while at the same time running a bunch of FX/processing in real time...
...well, I think if you can minimize the load, with no apparent downside by just creating new files with correct rates to import...it might make a difference.

I think Reaper programmers decided to just remove those thoughts from people's minds (and options), since the majority of people would not care...or not want to bother with bouncing...but I still prefer having options, rather than having things hard coded and options removed.

Yes...90% of the time.
I'm asking do you even have the option to choose. :)
Not that I'm aware of. Makes me think that there might be an option or two in the actual import dialog, but I'm not in a place where I can check that. The only reason I can imagine you'd want to do that is if somehow the file is wrong about the sample rate to begin with. At that point, though, it's not actually converting anything, just rewriting the file header to indicate a different rate.

There might be a way to force Reaper to import the raw PCM data and just line the samples up with the project/interface rate. Really don't see too many reasons one would want to do that, though, and it might require some other tool.

Bit rate? Bit depth? Strictly speaking it should be Word Length.

Dave. Be 2019 in one hour here. Happy New Year everybody!

Bit rate? Bit depth? Strictly speaking it should be Word Length.
Well, Bit Depth is about the same thing as World Length. Bit Rate is the number of bits that go by in a given amount of time. For PCM audio, that would be Bit Depth times Sample Rate times number of channels. We never talk about that IRL, though. Normally, we talk about Bit Rate for compressed formats, and it gives us an idea of how much bandwidth we'll need to be able to stream it without buffering. I don't think that Bit Depth and Sample Rate are even really relevant for mp3 and other compressed formats.

So... IDK what happened to alterman, but like all of his posts are deleted and it leaves several threads kind of all fucked up where I was replying to his nonsense, but didn't @ or quote him, so like I'm just ranting and double posting and getting increasingly frustrated for what looks like no good reason.

:/

I think he's been banned....???
His name doesn't even show up in the member list...which happens when you're banned.
It's just funny that ALL his posts seem to have been deleted. Usually posts that were "OK" remain, even when someone is banned.
I don't think all his posts were bad.

Maybe there was more behind the scenes...PM stuff...that sealed that deal.

"shrug"

First one for 2019...Happy New Year.

Vegas Pro resamples on the fly, probably because the project parameters are not fixed. The project settings can be changed at any time, though that might not be best practice. The upside is that when you export the audio it has gone through fewer resamples than if new files had been created for audio imported from a different rate than the project settings.

Back