Best way to record a digital Yamaha piano?

RyanEmerson

I want to record a digital piano with my BOSS BR-1180 but aren't sure about the best way.

Should I use a mic to amp the speaker, or go line-in directly? Or, should I use line-in but a direct box as well? Also, is it possible to go straight in through midi (both have midi inputs, and if so, is it recommended)?

Should I use a compressor, and if so, what settings? And what about EQ?

You will have to use your ears to decide whether line in or mic'ed amp sounds better (bet you didn't see that one coming :) ), but the MIDI in will not work. MIDI is only performance "instructions" for a synthesizer. No actual sound is transmitted or stored with MIDI.

I say direct. How many tracks to you have at your disposal? Cuz you could do both and blend. Mic the speaker really far away, add some verb ... that type of thing to give you more of a sound of a piano being played in a room.

I would also vote direct unless you have a good amp, a decent mic, and some experience micing an amplifier. Regarding EQ and compression, a lot depends on the patch you are recording, your style of playing, and what else is in the mix. Some patches (like an upright or honky-tonk piano) are heavily EQ'd coming out of the piano and don't require much alteration. Some, like many grand piano patches, are fine solo but need work to squeeze into a busy mix. And I find that many organ sounds work without additional compression.

What's the keyboard?

If it's a P80, then I'd strongly suggest miking and direct - I've not yet got a tone I'm totally happy with direct. Haven't tried miking either for that matter, but I will be soon. I think it can only improve what I'm hearing!

Cheers

Back