Best way to connect my mixer to my Tascam recorder

joms

Hi,

Sorry for such a noob queston but I don't know the best way to hook up my mixer with a recording device (Tascam). My mixer has a record out (RCA),an aux out, a monitor out, a main out and a USB. The mains are going to my QSC K10 speakers, the other outputs are free. Which is the best to use then?

My Mixer = Allen & Heath Zed-10fx

My digital recorder = Tascam D-100MKII

I am also planning to upgrade my amp to the Soundcraft MFXi 8 (not sure though). However, if i do push thru with it, will i still use the same output (as the Zed) to connect my Tascam to?

Note: My Tascam has XLR input

What exactly is your situation? Does the mixer have to drive a PA system? How are you monitoring what you're playing?

There are a lot of possibilities but most likely you'll just connect the XLR outputs of the mixer to the XLR inputs of the recorder.

However, if you are doing live mixing to a PA then the XLR outputs will likely be used for that so you'll have to use the RCA record outputs.

Sorry i forgot to mention that this is done on our karaoke system setup in our living room. The mixer is driving a PA system and is using the main outs going directly to the qsc k10 speakers.

Question is, what output do i use to connect my mixer to my tascam d1mkii digital recorder. Are the RCAs the best choice since I am using the XLR mains?

I looked up the D100mk2 and it only has XLR line ins, so you will need xlr to rca adaptors which will work ok. Another maybe strange way of doing this that will work fine is to take a xlr out (link) from each of the powered speakers and plug them into the D100Mk2.

Alan.

P.S. The tascam also has a 1/8' stereo line input jack, so you could use a 2 x rca to 1/8" stereo lead to connect the Tascam.

Hmmm. I see. But which connection will give me the best in terms of sound audio quality? I'm thinking of using the mains XLR out to hook to the Tascam recorder and just use the monitor out to hook to my QSC K10 main speakers. Is this a good idea? Will my QSC K10 suffer audio quality?

Hmmm. I see. But which connection will give me the best in terms of sound audio quality? I'm thinking of using the mains XLR out to hook to the Tascam recorder and just use the monitor out to hook to my QSC K10 main speakers. Is this a good idea? Will my QSC K10 suffer audio quality?

I really would not worry about it, recording from the rca record out or the XLRs will sound exactly the same for what you are doing. Some will say that the RCA outs are not balanced blah blah, but for running a short lead to the recorder there will be not difference at all.

The monitor out is for studio monitors when using the Zed-10fx as a small recording studio, as it sounds like you are recording karaoke, this setup may or may not work for you.

If you do want to set this up like a small recording studio, it should be plugged in like:

Main XLR out or record out to the Tascam

Output from the tascam to playback in.

Monitor out to the Speakers

Then you can record and play back via the Zed by selecting the playback/monitor options.

Alan.

Thanks so I guess the RCA would do.

May I just ask something for the purpose of learning. Why can't I use the monitor out in connecting my Tascam? You mentioned that it is used for studio monitors. Is the level of the monitor out different than the signal going out from the mains/record out?

Heck can i ask if there is any difference from the signals coming out from main out/monitor out/ record out / aux out / effects out. Are the difference just labels or is there something else?

Just want to learn =)

Thanks so I guess the RCA would do.

May I just ask something for the purpose of learning. Why can't I use the monitor out in connecting my Tascam? You mentioned that it is used for studio monitors. Is the level of the monitor out different than the signal going out from the mains/record out?

Heck can i ask if there is any difference from the signals coming out from main out/monitor out/ record out / aux out / effects out. Are the difference just labels or is there something else?

Just want to learn =)

The monitor out is what's usually called control room out on other mixers. It's for connecting your studio monitors. When you solo a channel (bizarrely labelled "Listen") it appears alone on the headphone and monitor outputs. There is the option to make the monitor out be another copy of the main out without being affected by the solo function (Monitor Source).

The Aux Out is a pre-fader monitor mix, a separate mix from the main mix that can have a different balance of the channels. It doesn't change when you make fader adjustments. (Actually, you board doesn't have faders, it has knobs, but it's the convention to refer to aux sends as either pre-fader or post-fader.)

The FX controls on channels lets you send varying amounts of each channel to the onboard effects processor and/or to the FX Out. It is post-fader because if you turn a channel down you want the effect to remain proportional.

The Record Out is a copy of whatever you are sending to the USB connection. With both selection buttons out it's the Mix that goes to the Record Out and USB. With just the Aux-FX button pressed it gets a mix of the Aux and FX mixes (I guess, the manual is vague). With the Record button pressed it gets the Record Bus (a mix of channels with their Record buttons pressed).

Thanks so much for the explanations. Some questions though:

If the Aux out is set to post fader then it acts exactly as the main out? Is Aux out mono or stereo?

Also, the Record out can either get 3 signals 1) the entire mix without effects 2) the entire mix with effects and aux 3) the mix with only the record buttons pressed. Is this right?

Thanks again

If the Aux out is set to post fader then it acts exactly as the main out? Is Aux out mono or stereo?

The Aux Out is mono and pre-fader. It is for making a separate independent mix for stage monitoring or for a monitor mix for tracking.

Also, the Record out can either get 3 signals 1) the entire mix without effects 2) the entire mix with effects and aux 3) the mix with only the record buttons pressed. Is this right?

My interpretation is that it can have the Main mix or the Aux+FX send mixes or the Record mix but the manual doesn't precisely indicate the function.

Back