Best mic type for violin?

shadowolf104

Hello, I have a simple (I hope) question. What's the best type of Mic to record a violin with? Condenser, diaphragm, etc ; I'm confused, thank you

Also, if you have a Mic you recommend, it would be appreciated.

Thanks again
-Joshua

I've had very good results with an Audio Technica AT853.

It's a small SDC, more typically used for choirs and ensembles, but works a treat when placed above and a couple of feet from the violin.

Here's a short sample (just over a minute):

two degrees of separation sample

Close? SDC's. Room? LDC's.

Both? Both.

Sort of depends on the sound you're looking for and how it fits in the mix.

Close? SDC's. Room? LDC's.

Both? Both.

Sort of depends on the sound you're looking for and how it fits in the mix.

Forgive me, I have no idea what the abbreviations mean lol. It would probably be close, are Rode NT1As good?

While we're at it, are things like these good?http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0117E33PG/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?qid=1444536370&sr=8-18&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=Recording+mic&dpPl=1&dpID=41QGZ94BJuL&ref=plSrch

Last edited:
Sdc=small diaphragm condenser.

Ldc=large diaphragm condenser.

Dpa makes the best close mics for violin.

That thing is fine. It works by absorbing your voice, so it doesn't fill the room and find its way back into the mic. It also keeps other sounds out.

This would not be recommended for violin.

I recorded the sister violin to Paganini's instrument with a Fathead 2. It sounded great.

I'm partial to ribbons. Royer 121, expensive but it's a keeper. Coles as previously suggted are another good choice.

I haven't recorded violin in a while but had a very pleasing eye opener with an Earthworks. My surprise was it struck me as like the sound of a ribbon. Warmth, wood, and not scratchy'. Presumably, just from having not hyping the high end.

I haven't recorded violin in a while but had a very pleasing eye opener with an Earthworks. My surprise was it struck me as like the sound of a ribbon. Warmth, wood, and not scratchy'. Presumably, just from having not hyping the high end.

Personally, I like 'scratchy' . . . I like the sound of the bow scraping across the strings.

Personally, I like 'scratchy' . . . I like the sound of the bow scraping across the strings.
There's natural presence, detail, all that that can happen w/o the added edge' we get so often from mics, the recordings.. speakers! notably. Sure real' can be shrill or what ever too. But my point (a small one :) is here came this tone- VIA the QTC1, w/o having to do anything special in particular IIRC, that did just that.

Back