Best Mic For Home Recording

Ms Vocals

I'm a singer, writer, rapper and producer. I add my vocals to tracks for other artist and producers. My question is, I use a microphone called MXL 2006 I get a pretty good sound after I mix down my vocals with VST plugins but is there any other mic that has a good sound without shelving out hundreds of dollars? You can hear my vocals on my website. Get the link from my page on this site. I used the MXL on most of the songs.

On The Grind Productions

Last edited by a moderator:
Answered in your other thread.
Btw, quit double posting. That will just get people annoyed with you real fast.
:D

I listened to some of the clips on your website. That mic is holding you back. You're a good ways overdue for a better one. By large, MXL makes shit mics.

You're by far a good enough singer to benefit from having something like a Rode NT1 in the $250-$400 range. The Blue Baby bottle is a popular mic in the upper entry level or lower mid level, but after listening through your tracks I don't think its a very good fit for your voice. I think the Audio Technica 4040 could be a decent upgrade for you, but I'd still recommend that you try the NT1 first. There's a company called AKG that makes a couple mics in the $200-$400 range, but I really think you should start with that Rode.

By large, MXL makes shit mics.

Thats a bit unfair, MXL make cheap models and more expensive models, some of the mics sound very good. I don't think at around $100 street price, the MXL 2006 is going to be that spectacular.

However I do prefer Rode mics in general, remembering they also make cheaper models and more expensive models, I think that the Rode cheaper mics sound better then the MXL cheaper mics.

Alan.

Didn't see the homepage link before.

Personally, it's hard to put my finger on the mic when I haven't heard the raw track, so I think hearing that might give us a better idea.

Are you using a pop screen, and what else is your recording set-up look like?

I can't even imagine not having a SM7b... One of the greatest vocal mics ever designed at any price. That said - No one mic does everything... You need to match the mic with the source with how it's going to fit into that source.

Thats a bit unfair, MXL make cheap models and more expensive models, some of the mics sound very good. I don't think at around $100 street price, the MXL 2006 is going to be that spectacular.

However I do prefer Rode mics in general, remembering they also make cheaper models and more expensive models, I think that the Rode cheaper mics sound better then the MXL cheaper mics.

Alan.

I assure you I'm going to ask you an honest question and that I'm not here to start a pissing contest. And I'm genuinely interested in your opinion. Which mic do you think sounds good?

I listened to some of the clips on your website. That mic is holding you back. You're a good ways overdue for a better one. By large, MXL makes shit mics.

You're by far a good enough singer to benefit from having something like a Rode NT1 in the $250-$400 range. The Blue Baby bottle is a popular mic in the upper entry level or lower mid level, but after listening through your tracks I don't think its a very good fit for your voice. I think the Audio Technica 4040 could be a decent upgrade for you, but I'd still recommend that you try the NT1 first. There's a company called AKG that makes a couple mics in the $200-$400 range, but I really think you should start with that Rode.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your feedback. I will look into upgrading perhaps to one of the mics you mentioned.

Didn't see the homepage link before.

Personally, it's hard to put my finger on the mic when I haven't heard the raw track, so I think hearing that might give us a better idea.

Are you using a pop screen, and what else is your recording set-up look like?

Did you hear my vocal recordings?

I hate these topics - in fact ANY topic where the word 'best' gets used. Mainly because over the years, I've discovered a soft spot for microphones that other people hate. For instance, I always wanted an SM7 until I got one, and then hated it. I sold it easily and never went back then one day bought an EV RE320 and I did't like that for the same reason as the SM7. Then I used it on a girl singer on a project we were doing and realised that I actually did like it. I'll use my 414 on most things - but my entire collection of mics gets used. I don't think I have any mics that can't be used. So, best? Best for price, sound, build quality, resale value, colour, size, shape??? For live sound I've started to use large diaphragm mics, because one show I ran out, having left a case at home and used what was in the 'wrong' case - and loved them. My current favourite for overheads is now a couple of Samsons!

I hate these topics - in fact ANY topic where the word 'best' gets used. Mainly because over the years, I've discovered a soft spot for microphones that other people hate. For instance, I always wanted an SM7 until I got one, and then hated it. I sold it easily and never went back then one day bought an EV RE320 and I did't like that for the same reason as the SM7. Then I used it on a girl singer on a project we were doing and realised that I actually did like it. I'll use my 414 on most things - but my entire collection of mics gets used. I don't think I have any mics that can't be used. So, best? Best for price, sound, build quality, resale value, colour, size, shape??? For live sound I've started to use large diaphragm mics, because one show I ran out, having left a case at home and used what was in the 'wrong' case - and loved them. My current favourite for overheads is now a couple of Samsons!

Out of curiosity, what pre did you use with those big dynamics.
Preference is preference and maybe you're not a fan, but I didn't think much of my sm7b when I used a digi 003.
In fact, I was really disappointed.

Shortly afterwards I got some broadcast console preamps and things changed.
I don't just mean that it was quiet with the 003. It didn't sound very good, to me, in general.

Like Massive, it's the one mic I'd have to replace, now.

I found your link and posted it on your first post above.

You do need to put that link in your signature line, as it will seem like you are promoting yourself in posts which is not allowed here. For this discussion I found it ok for now.

I work with musicians from metal, to country, to pop, to rap... The SM7b with a nice preamp has killed it every time. Even soft singing girls as Steeno will attest to. :)

I am curious as to what your room layout/acoustic treatment is? I have a well treated large control/vocal room that I still find a dynamic works better in than a condenser mic for my clients. Though I do have a good preamp to run it with...

The mic is only as good as it's source (which it seems you have some good ones) and then the room it is used in. The most expensive mic you can buy may sound like crap in an unbalanced room even if the source (singer) is amazing.

That being said I do not find much wrong with your recordings. Actually I likely wouldn't reply if I didn't hear some cool shiz here. :)

Did you hear my vocal recordings?
Yes I did! That's why I asked hearing the raw [vocal] tracks, vs. what was posted.

I'm not attuned to vocalists, but if I'm picking a mic for a specific instrument, I like to hear the actual instrument in the room where I'll be recording. Kind of the same thing. Hearing a natural voice, and knowing how it was recorded might suggest something to folks that have a lot of experience recording vocallists. If hear something with a lot of effects and I don't know how it was recorded, and someone says "What would you do?" I'm kind of stuck.

Yes I did! That's why I asked hearing the raw [vocal] tracks, vs. what was posted.

I'm not attuned to vocalists, but if I'm picking a mic for a specific instrument, I like to hear the actual instrument in the room where I'll be recording. Kind of the same thing. Hearing a natural voice, and knowing how it was recorded might suggest something to folks that have a lot of experience recording vocallists. If hear something with a lot of effects and I don't know how it was recorded, and someone says "What would you do?" I'm kind of stuck.

I will post my acapella vocals. I'll message you again when it's posted. Thank you.

I found your link and posted it on your first post above.

You do need to put that link in your signature line, as it will seem like you are promoting yourself in posts which is not allowed here. For this discussion I found it ok for now.

I work with musicians from metal, to country, to pop, to rap... The SM7b with a nice preamp has killed it every time. Even soft singing girls as Steeno will attest to. :)

I am curious as to what your room layout/acoustic treatment is? I have a well treated large control/vocal room that I still find a dynamic works better in than a condenser mic for my clients. Though I do have a good preamp to run it with...

The mic is only as good as it's source (which it seems you have some good ones) and then the room it is used in. The most expensive mic you can buy may sound like crap in an unbalanced room even if the source (singer) is amazing.

That being said I do not find much wrong with your recordings. Actually I likely wouldn't reply if I didn't hear some cool shiz here. :)

Thank you very much for listening to my songs. Nice knowing you like my voice. I am not able to add a signature yet because my account is new. I can only add my website to the home page. I will read up about the SM7b. The set up I'm using is a basic room without any vocal padding.

Out of curiosity, what pre did you use with those big dynamics.
Shootdown time I expect - I'm simply not a convert to needing special preamps to use specific mics. So just the preamps I use every day for the rest of the mic box - so that's a Tascam 8 input rack and out an about an X32 mixer or maybe a Lexicon Omega - and I would happily inter-mix any of those as sounding neutral. I didn't find gain a real issue on the big mics, but the Shure just sounded a bit weedy, and needed too much eq for me.

I do accept the concept that for some mics a pre-amp with er, character, is needed - but for me preamps just need to be quiet and transparent. If I need special preamps to do justice to some mics, I'll not be buying them. I notice that SM7s for broadcast rarely ever need the flash preamp treatment - which is surprising.

Oh, my wording was a bit misleading.
I fall down on your side too.
I do accept the concept that for some mics a pre-amp with er, character, is needed - but for me preamps just need to be quiet and transparent. If I need special preamps to do justice to some mics, I'll not be buying them. I notice that SM7s for broadcast rarely ever need the flash preamp treatment - which is surprising.

Was just surprised to learn that the 003 preamps weren't that ^.
For reference, I get on just fine with my little Presonus FS mobile.

Anway, just checking. ;) Some people just plain don't like the sound of dynamics that much.

OK I didn't realized that I was double posting. I gotta go and find the other post. Thanks for pointing that out lol. I am new to this site and trying to get the hang of it.

Back