[SOLVED] Behringer Uphoria404 dual XLR/instrument inputs

Kick the Baby

I searched for 2 hours for the answer (yeah, literally at least 2 hours). I couldn't find the answer, though got tantalizingly close, but I discovered a good resource for learning from here on. So I joined.

I just got the title's stated audio interface, first time ever using anything like this. I am 99% ignorant of anything technical about recording (I have made lots of songs on a 4track tape recorder, but I don't know the technical name of anything, like the difference between Line & INstrument.

I have a condenser mic. The AI has a phantom power switch, on/off for the entire unit, all 4 input channels. But each of the 4 inputs are dual inputs. You can put an XLR OR a 1/4"TS into the same hole. So here's two simple, related questions about these holes:

If I want to plug my condenser mic & plug electric guitar into the AI, I'll need phantom power on for the mic, but what about the guitar (& anything else I might plug in later, while also using a condenser mic)? The Uphoria has a Line/Instrument toggle for each channel. Plenty have answered if it's safe to plug a dynamic in with phantom power on, but what about TS or TRS jacks? Does switching to INST block phantom power to that channel, or does it not matter if it is on if you don't have an XLR plugged in?

2nd question is: I know for the XLR input I will toggle LINE on, and for my guitar's 1/4" TS I will toggle INST on (and that is absolutely all I know, part of my 1% non-ignorance). But what about TRS jacks, or some other kind that isn't passive like my electric guitar? Will my LINE toggle always be the XLR input, and INST always be any 1/4" jack?

Simple straightforward: yes or no I can plug in my guitar with phantom power on sort of answers appreciated, but also if anyone feels like being as verbose as I'm clearly compelled to be would also be appreciated. Like explaining why or why not it's ok to plug in a TS with phantom power on, or that sort of thing. Or the technical definition of LINE. Or does it matter if the world is ruled by lizard people or not when either way, they might as well be lizard people.

Technically more than 2 questions, but I just rephrased each question multiple ways to reduce misunderstanding (did I accomplish the opposite?). The way I asked may not make total sense, but that's cuz I don't know what line means, and up til this week I didn't know the names: XLR or TS & TRS. I knew what mic cables, and their plugs looked like, cuz I've used them plenty, and I always thought of 1/4 & 1/8" TS & TRS jacks as mono & stereo audio inputs. And "line in" was the hole I plugged a sound making thing into a speaker thing so I could listen to it. That LINE & INST are separate terms is a new paradigm to me.

And I will have phantom power off when I plug and unplug my condenser mic, cuz I read that tip about 9 times during my 2 hours of searching before posting.

Thank you so much for reading. I'd pare down my post, but often when I try that, I end up retyping just as verbosely. It's probably the Asperger's. I'm seriously surprised I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere when it seems so many of the AI's have these dual inputs. Yet a ton of people ask about plugging in dynamic mics. Is it because everyone else just knows already that it doesn't matter with the TS/TRS?

Hi there,

With these combo style inputs, it's helpful to know that plugging in an XLR cable makes different physical connections than when plugging in a 1/4" plug (whether TS or TRS).

Phantom power is delivered to the pins which make contact with an XLR connector, so it's not a consideration or concern with 1/4" plugs.

If you want to use a dynamic microphone and condenser mic at the same time both should be XLR but they don't, and do, require phantom power, respectively.
This is fine. The dynamic microphone will 'ignore' the phantom power. It being turned on will do no harm.

The line switch does not apply to XLR connectors. That line/isnt switch is for devices or instruments plugged in via 1/4" plug.

Line setting makes the interface expect a higher level signal; The sort of signal that you'd get coming out of a mixer, keyboard, or hifi.
Nine times out of ten the outputting device will say "Line Output" at its socket.

Setting to instrument means the interface is expecting a quieter/lower level signal; The sort you'd get from an instrument with a pickup, like bass or electric guitar.
Some interfaces label this hi-z, direct, or DI.

You mentioned TS/TRS - Mono/Stereo confusion.
This is a little more complicated because in pro-audio you'll often have balanced audio signals, and that technology requires two conductors.(T+R).
A balanced mono signal uses Tip, Ring and Sleeve.
An unbalanced mono signal uses Tip and Sleeve.

If you're dealing with a pair of headphones or something the TRS plug is being used for stereo unbalanced, (tip left/ring right/sleeve ground)
but a TRS output on a professional mixer or something will be balanced mono. In that case, there'd usually be a pair for balanced left + balanced right.

Using balanced line ins/outs is useful in environments with lots of interference, or for long cable runs. In the average home studio it's probably not life or death.

Hope that helps to clear some things up.

Last edited:
Reactions: TAE
When I said, simple straightforward, as well as expounding would both be appreciated, I had an answer like yours in mind as a perfect answer.
I only needed to know if it was safe to plug in my guitar with phantom on, but also glad to understand the practical basics surrounding the topic, so as to maybe not have questions in the future.

Your answer was so gratifyingly perfect. Thank you.

Back