beginner recording advice

backroomdj

Hello, all. I've been spinning as a hobby for about 5 years now and want to record some sets I've put together for personal listening just to see how it sounds on CD. I have a basic setup, I use Numark decks and mixer (Matrix 3). I was hoping someone could give some advice on how to maybe hook up my computer to my mixer and record a real time mix. I consider myself a novice as I do not know much about the recording aspect of djing. Is my mixer capable of being connected to my computer somehow to record or is there software I have to acquire to begin this process? Any information would be appreciated.

You need some sort of interface (<---search term). It can be as simple as buying a 2xRCA to 1/8" stereo cable, and plugging into the line in on your sound card. This will not sound great, but it will get sound into your computer.

Download Audacity. It's free. Open the program, set your soundcard as the recording source (it will probably be the default anyway), and hit record. Turntable away, and it will be captured as an Audacity data file, which you can export as WAV, and convert to whatever else you want on your computer.

If you want better quality, you will need a better interface, and possibly a standalone converter.

Thanks

Thanks for the tips. Sounds easy enough. However, once I record the tracks, is there a way to 'tweak' it so I can put it on a disk and listen to it on a better system?

Back