Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Been given a Neumann TLM 170 - is it really necessary?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post

Just looked up the spec for the RE 20 sensitivity is 1.5mV/Pa. That's about 3dB hotter than a 57/58 and maybe 4-5dB hotter than an SM7b and I am sure I have heard of people using those mics with a cloudlifter and getting really low noise results.

Of course, mics are subject to tolerances and if it is an old one it might be down a bit on output? Add a c'lifter not quite up to snuff and you could get a bit of noise.
    If the RE-20 is 3dB hotter than an SM57 it could be plugged right into the F'rite and a decent signal captured w/o the C'lifter - not as loud, but at 24-bit easy enough to add the gain in post to compare with vs without, i.e., to decide where the noise is coming from.

If you boost the gain enough on the F'rite, of course, it's going to start hissing at some point.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Thanks Keith and again to ecc83

You people certainly know your stuff, but I don't know what half the technical terminology means. I will say, coming from a Rode mic made specifically for podcasting to the RE20, I did notice a slight improvement, but not as much as I was told I would. With the TLM 170, it's immediately noticeable to my ears, and I'm not an audiophile or really someone who takes note of such things.

I also use spot panels of acoustic foam, to supplement the 2 x six foot, free standing acoustic panels.

Bubba
    Last edited by Bubba Spear; 5 Days Ago at 14:12.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Spear View Post
    Thanks Keith and again to ecc83

You people certainly know your stuff, but I don't know what half the technical terminology means. I will say, coming from a Rode mic made specifically for podcasting to the RE20, I did notice a slight improvement, but as much as I was told I would. With the TLM 170, it's immediately noticeable to my ears, and I'm not an audiophile or really someone who takes note of such things.

I also use spot panels of acoustic foam, to supplement the 2 x six foot, free standing acoustic panels.

Bubba
    Odd that the dynamic was quieter than a Rode? They make one of the quietest capacitor mics on the market and the quality is evident throughout the range AFAIK. What specific model was it? Then the fact that the TLM 170 gives you an immediately noticeable drop in noise suggest to me that the interface might be a bit noisier than standard? The higher level of the 170 means you need less gain and thus get less pre amp noise.

Don't be too bothered about the technical guff, you don't need to know that much and if anything really puzzles you just ask.

Dave.

Thanks
    From memory, the Rode was also a dynamic. I can't remember what it was called, except that it was big, all white in colour and heavy. An end address affair that connected via USB. But anyway, I'm sorted now. This TLM is really nice to use.

Thanks again

Bubba

Thanks
    From memory, the Rode was also a dynamic. I can't remember what it was called, except that it was big, all white in colour and heavy. An end address affair that connected via USB. But anyway, I'm sorted now. This TLM is really nice to use.

Thanks again

Bubba
    Most likely the Rode was a Rode podcaster.

ROEDE Microphones - Podcaster

Thanks
    Yes, that was it

Edit: the black box that I referred to earlier - and that is sitting a hundred miles away - is not a Black Origin... Oops!, but something called a Millennia STT-1 Origin. This thread has probably run its course, and guess I answered my own question regarding the Neumann by just plugging the damned thing in. This Origin thingy will present the same dilemma. I've been told it's mine if I want it, so obviously I'll just have to do the same...

Bubba
    Last edited by Bubba Spear; 4 Days Ago at 15:30.

Thanks
    Yes, that was it
    Ah! Probably a 16 bit USB jobbie. Like the mixers, can be noisy ****!

Dave.

Thanks
    Amongst the items in the product description is this:

"18-bit resolution, 8-48kHz sampling"

But the actual prodcut specifications say 24bit

podcasterspecs-jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    Amongst the items in the product description is this:

"18-bit resolution, 8-48kHz sampling"

But the actual prodcut specifications say 24bit

podcasterspecs-jpg
    I stand corrected and should have checked spec before typing. All I can say is most usb mics are 16 bit converters. That of itself does not mean a noisy system but for some reason, cheap, 16 bit USB kit tends to be.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    ...Some of it is cultural. In the UK, we're used to our broadcasters using condenser mics, while in the US the popularity of Shure and EV dynamics has tailored the sound to the people. I've heard Americans listen to our BBC radio here and query the sound as being 'wrong'. It's a mix of what you like vs what the audience like.

I'd urge you to at least try it and see if it's better or worse to your ears.
    I recently read an article about NPR (National Public Radio in the US - our version of the BBC). Interestingly, their chief audio engineer said they principally use Neumann U87s in the studio for spoken word broadcasts, with the bass roll off switch engaged.

A top audio engineer explains NPR’s signature sound | Current

Thread Information