Bass Picking up Buzz

Farno

Hey so I got a bass tonight (first time I've ever played a bass, and I bought it). It's a Schecter Stiletto C-4 and I like it. However, when I recorded some bass tracks, I notice it picking up a lot of buzzing from the strings. It also picked up a lot of playing noise.

Is this normal since I have no idea about basses? Perhaps it's the way I'm recording it.

It's an active bass. What I did was plugged it into the aux jack on my electric guitar amp (is this bad?..) and recorded it direct like that. I assume that's the problem.

Instead of recording through the amp, should I just go direct, not amp or anything? I am thinking about getting one of those DI boxes but I'm going to wait and make sure I 100% need one.

I'm not a bass player, but I get a lot of compliments on my ass tracks, for some strange reason. I also have an active bass (Ibanez something or another). I go direct into my recorder...no compressionn, no nothing. I process with a little bit of compression afterwards.

HAHAHA! That's a typo I won't even bother correcting. :D :D :D

:laughings::laughings::laughings:

Thank you!

It wouldn't be right if you did. :)

sorry for the temporary hijack...

As far as the bass buzz... seems to me that pretty much everybody fights with bass buzz when they're starting out, no? Rotowound strings do it even more.

It takes time to develop the strength you need in your fingers plus there's good and bad techniques. If I were starting out, I'd play for awhile and make a huge list of things then ask someone who can already play bass well, maybe at a lesson or maybe just sitting around talking. Most people who are good at something are happy to help other people that show an interest.

Plus, rolling the top off of the track might help.

You will eventually need a nice passive DI like the Radial JDI or equivalent. Unless you plan to mic your amp. A lot of people do both and mix the two together for a great sound on there (b)ass tracks.

If the bass has a good set up the buzzing is likely your playing technique. Bass takes more effort and strength to play than guitar. I'm sure you have noticed this already. Work on more precise fretting and try a lighter touch picking the notes. The harder you pluck the strings the more string buzz/rattle you will get. You aren't alone, most people when starting bass tend to pluck the strings way too hard and get a lot of buzz/rattle.

Back