Bass Guitar (PJ Pickup) NOISE!

mactreouser

I was having a simple Bass Guitar recording today. No matter went thru DI Box or Direct line in to audio interface (Hi-Z), there was a consistently noise!

I did some test, recording on another USB Mixer, Used another DI Box, Cable in Balanced or Unbalanced, Ground Lift or Not, sprayed WD40 to those contacts ...Noise didn't go away!

Then, I tried to turn the volume knob and tone knob. When Straight/Single Coil knob turned all the way down, noise (doooooo...) disappeared! When I turn the tone knob all the way down, another type of noise disappeared (electric/dirty noise).

Hope to hear from you and your help are really appreciated!

** I would like to attach the Noise MP3 but I can't find the attachment option, hope you could lead me!

Attachment is in the Advanced page stuff.

Single coils are noisy, and depending on your place (lighting, dimmers, old/bad wiring) can be just unmanageable. It's why I switched from a Tele to a LP when I was playing in an old church for a few years, and why I put noiseless pickups in my JB.

But, check your bass wiring and make sure it's Ok. I mean, it plays without noise, *some* places, right?

Get rid of CFLs in the room and dimmers anywhere on the circuit.

And loads of other remedies to try, but eliminating the usual suspects first is my approach.

Attachment is in the Advanced page stuff.

Single coils are noisy, and depending on your place (lighting, dimmers, old/bad wiring) can be just unmanageable. It's why I switched from a Tele to a LP when I was playing in an old church for a few years, and why I put noiseless pickups in my JB.

But, check your bass wiring and make sure it's Ok. I mean, it plays without noise, *some* places, right?

Get rid of CFLs in the room and dimmers anywhere on the circuit.

And loads of other remedies to try, but eliminating the usual suspects first is my approach.

Appreciate your advices & suggestions!
* I was in the advanced page, unfortunately I couldn't see the attachment option! Strange, huh...

* I understood the problems of lighting, dimmer, ground issue from a place may cause the noise! In fact, all this while no such weird noise! Headache.

* how do I check on my Bass Guitar wiring whether went bad or not?

* how do I check on my Bass Guitar wiring whether went bad or not?

First off. Is this a bass you're familiar with?
Is your recording setup one you're familiar with?
In other words..... have you used both with sucess before and the noise is a brand new problem????

On checking the bass, first thing to check is if the string ground wire came off

Plug into an amp, take your hand off the strings it should buzz. Touch the strings or any of the metal hardware and the buzz should go away.
If not, there's your problem.
Quite often the nut on pots, jacks, etc get loose.
Then the components start moving around and next thing something breaks.
You'd think someone would adress that issue, but you'd be suprised at how many let it go till something breaks.

If nothing is the matter with the bass, it will still buzz due to it being single coil. Shielding of the instrument can help that.

But first check out the simplest signal chain.
Bass, cord, amp.
Oh, btw, use a different cord. Could be something as simple as a bad cable.

Take the pickguard off and look first. A simple multimeter will help too.
[MENTION=181101]mactreouser[/MENTION], I honestly think every single electric guitar player should have a basic multimeter so they can check continuity and resistance. Diagnosing even simple problems over the internet can be maddening without some basic facts. If you don't have one, get one. ESPECIALLY if you are going to open up your guitar (IMO).

[MENTION=185883]RFR[/MENTION]'s suggestion to check the cable, of course, should also be in the debugging list.

Hi,
My Bass Guitar does come with pickguard. Did you mean pull out the pickups and look inside, still, the volume and tone's back cover?

** How to use the multimeter to check?

Appreciate!

Take the pickguard off and look first. A simple multimeter will help too.

Hi,
My Bass Guitar does come with pickguard. Did you mean pull out the pickups and look inside, still, the volume and tone's back cover?

** How to use the multimeter to check?

Appreciate

First off. Is this a bass you're familiar with?
Is your recording setup one you're familiar with?
In other words..... have you used both with sucess before and the noise is a brand new problem????

On checking the bass, first thing to check is if the string ground wire came off

Plug into an amp, take your hand off the strings it should buzz. Touch the strings or any of the metal hardware and the buzz should go away.
If not, there's your problem.
Quite often the nut on pots, jacks, etc get loose.
Then the components start moving around and next thing something breaks.
You'd think someone would adress that issue, but you'd be suprised at how many let it go till something breaks.

If nothing is the matter with the bass, it will still buzz due to it being single coil. Shielding of the instrument can help that.

But first check out the simplest signal chain.
Bass, cord, amp.
Oh, btw, use a different cord. Could be something as simple as a bad cable.

** Yup, I'm super familiar with those gears and it was successfully completed great job before! So, it's a brand new noise, especially the "Doooooo.... " noise on the PJ Single Coil pickup!

** it doesn't sound like Buzz issue. And yes, I'll check out those tiny wires and screws of those pots later!

** Ok, I'll try another cord (with and without ground wire). BTW, I didn't chained to the amp or multieffect, just direct in to Hi-Z input or via the DI BOX.

Really appreciate your help!

[MENTION=181101]mactreouser[/MENTION], I honestly think every single electric guitar player should have a basic multimeter so they can check continuity and resistance. Diagnosing even simple problems over the internet can be maddening without some basic facts. If you don't have one, get one. ESPECIALLY if you are going to open up your guitar (IMO).

[MENTION=185883]RFR[/MENTION]'s suggestion to check the cable, of course, should also be in the debugging list.

Thanks for your suggestion!i do have multimeter, unfortunately I have no idea how to do a check up for my Bass Guitar! I hope you could give me some ideas!

** Ok, I'll try another cord (with and without ground wire).

No, no no. You need a cord with ground. Just get another guitar cable. Standard guitar cable has a hot wire and a shield (ground)

Sounds like you dont know enough to start tearing apart your bass.

I mentioned going simple.....bass> cord> amp to determine if the bass is the problem.

Find out what is working properly before you start tearing into things.
It's a process of elimination and isolating exactly what the problem is.
Right now it's just confusion.

When Straight/Single Coil knob turned all the way down, noise (doooooo...) disappeared! When I turn the tone knob all the way down, another type of noise disappeared (electric/dirty noise).

PJ as in Precision / Jazz..... so single coil noise? of course.

Ive had a Jazz and while I love it, its a noisy sonbthc.. turning in the chair, you find the best angle for low noise.

Get a humbucker is the best approach isn't it?

PJ as in Precision / Jazz..... so single coil noise? of course.

Ive had a Jazz and while I love it, its a noisy sonbthc.. turning in the chair, you find the best angle for low noise.

Get a humbucker is the best approach isn't it?

It seems this is a new problem. Satisfactory results have been achieved with the same gear.
If so, something has changed.

Scroll down in Advanced untill you see what is in "attachy"

Click that>find files>browse(I usually put what I want to attch' on the Desktop and name it)>open>upload>done>

Now I shall read through the thread and see if any lights come on. Do not hold breath.

Dave.

Attachments

• attachy.png
    attachy.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 6
No, nothing comes on in the noggin, need that sound! 320k MP3 please. If you REALLY can't attach it, PM me and I will email you, you send it to me..Dah-di-da...

Scroll down in Advanced untill you see what is in "attachy"

Click that>find files>browse(I usually put what I want to attch' on the Desktop and name it)>open>upload>done>

Now I shall read through the thread and see if any lights come on. Do not hold breath.

Dave.

So sad and strange! There is no ATTACH FILE option provided after jumped in to advance option! Btw, android chrome browser is in action.

---------- Update ----------

No, nothing comes on in the noggin, need that sound! 320k MP3 please. If you REALLY can't attach it, PM me and I will email you, you send it to me..Dah-di-da...

Can't attach due to no file attachment option! ?

So sad and strange! There is no ATTACH FILE option provided after jumped in to advance option! Btw, android chrome browser is in action.

Can't attach due to no file attachment option! ��

You say there is no way to attach files in Android Chrome browser? That seems odd and surely something wrong in the setup?
I put Chrome on another DT PC just last night (W7) but have not as yet tried to attach anything. I want shot of Fire fox and ulrimately Yahoo and BT who host my email address. For a price!! I shall ultimately be here under a new address.

Glad you are sorted tho'but.

Dave.

Can't attach due to no file attachment option! ?

You say there is no way to attach files in Android Chrome browser? That seems odd and surely something wrong in the setup?
I put Chrome on another DT PC just last night (W7) but have not as yet tried to attach anything. I want shot of Fire fox and ulrimately Yahoo and BT who host my email address. For a price!! I shall ultimately be here under a new address.

Glad you are sorted tho'but.

Dave.

Back