Bass Guitar (PJ Pickup) NOISE!

Will try to look/search around!
So, as you meant, it perhaps the pickup problem?
As [MENTION=185883]RFR[/MENTION] and others have pointed out, Jazz bass pickups are noisy - by design you could say. In most uses the noise is tolerable, gets covered up in the mix, or can be suppressed.

The only pickup that will solve your problem is to get a "noiseless" pickup, which will be a humbucking design inside a JB shell. You would need to replace both pickups and it will sound different. (Or get a Precision bass, of course.)

I'd be more bothered with the kind of noise that's present, because it means you have something generating noise in your equipment/room/studio/house that's getting into your signal path. That problem just keeps getting ignored.

I'm not saying you should never change pickups - I actually put noiseless pickups in my JB because I just didn't like even a little noise. But, that 1k noise is not typical IMO. You can change the bass pickups, but I'd be afraid that noise will come back with something else.

To the OP. ....

You stated that you got satisfactory results with the same bass and same setup before.
Now you're not.

So, either your ear has changed and you're for the first time noticing something that was always there.......OR

Something has changed. That's what you need to find and eliminate.

Did you switch rooms, move your studio?
Did you get a new piece of gear?
Did you get some new appliance that is sharing the ac line?
Did you hook up something incorrectly?
Did you steal some cable for another purpose and use a shitty one?
Did you get better monitors where you can actually hear things??

Ect, ect. The possibilities are endless,
But if there was a previous time with no noise, and now there is, something changed.
And it's up to you to find out what that is.
We on the forum can only help so much.

So figure it out and get back to us. :D

the 1khz tone noise the OP posted isn't anything I get with my Jazz bass.

when I google 1khz tone noise in studio etc..etc.. there are numerous ideas but the root cause isn't very clear.

Keith what pickups did you get for your Jazz bass?

Keith what pickups did you get for your Jazz bass?
I got some Bartolini split-coils some years ago. They've updated and expanded their line of pickups so not sure which model is the same or if they even have the same ones now. (Bartolini.net has all their designs, and bestbassgear.com seems to be one place that lists most of them online in the US.)

Appreciate your help!

Stemming from PC or Fan ~~ I was far away even out of room but noise still captured. Erm... There was no FAN in the room (other than fan in the Mac)

Far or near, it's remaining the same. Exactly, when Straigh/Single Coil Pickup turned down, it disappeared. The noise doesn't picked up by the neck pickup.
Electromagnetic radiation is everywhere these days: Wifi routers, cell phone towers, .. But they shouldn't introduce the 1kHz peak (I'm not an expert on HF EM radiation though..) Just saying it could be a source with a wider range, maybe outside your home.
You could try making a test recording at a friend's place to see if the issue persists..

Also this > "Is the [home electrical] circuit free of CFLs and dimmers?"

"the sound of bit-crushing or sample rate 'aliasing' while notes are sounding might be a bigger issue" what does it mean and how to deal with?
My mistake: when I tried to highlight the issue in my DAW, it was gone, so I checked my mp3 player: it disappeared when using different output driver.. That issue was on my side!

Yup, I planned to scoop down the specific frequency! In fact, I'm afraid it might affected the color of the bass.
With a really narrow EQ band, carefully tuned to that 1kHz(+) frequency that shows in the graph, it won't affect the sound color noticeably. And/or use a noise gate (as suggested in a previous post).

Good luck and keep us posted!

Depending on your guitar model/pickup type, it could be a case of the pickup wiring not being screened properly - I had this problem with a STrat copy and once I had replaced all the pickup wiring with screened cable, the problem disappeared. Hope this helps.

Yup dude, exactly Tone Generator likes! ?
I have no idea what to do before suggested by some better idea!
So, it was the pickup problem?

Im just reading your posts, reads like its the Single Coil Bass pickup is the only time you get the problem.

Where its getting the loud 1khz tone is strange.

I don't consider that a normal single coil noise. My Jazz sounds like the mp3-sample Guitargodgt posted, a constant buzzing but not a huge issue.

Yours is a 1khz loud tone that's unusable.

You know there are some plug's that deal with a lot of single coil, guitar noise etc... might help.

However with that 1khz thing, I'd be trading for a P-Bass or getting a Noisless pup.

At least pop open the hood and put down some metaltape crap...one dude said he used the cheap shiny silver tape and it worked great. IDK..

Back