Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Based on Feedback - Got 2 Mics to Remove Background Noise - feedback Required

Thanks

Question Based on Feedback - Got 2 Mics to Remove Background Noise - feedback Required

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello

Based on the feedback I got from respected members of this forum I ordered dynamic mic(s) to eliminate the background noise because all the other options (whichever was possible at my end) I already tried and getting mic was the only fix.

I've a home studio setup where I create educational video course and currently using MXL 770 with Scarlett solo 2nd gen.

FYI: So far I got SM57
    and SM58 is in transit and I will try both of them whichever works best to eliminate the background noise I'll keep that and return the other one.

I did 1 Minute demo recording at 3:30am:

Note: Fan and Ac was off and only, some noise was coming from outside...

First test:
    Scarlett solo 2nd gen: Gain 75%
    MXL 770 - It picked up a lot of noise
    Recording Dropbox - 75%_gain_MXL-770.mp3 - Simplify your life

Second test:
    Scarlett solo 2nd gen: Gain 79%
    SM57 - I recorded noise for first 30 seconds then spoken something for 1 minute.

Recording: Dropbox - 79%_gain_SM57.mp3 - Simplify your life

1. Request - I request you please listen to the recording and check whether the background noise is completely removed or not as I don't have monitor headset.

2. I listen to the recording, even though gain was 79% but still volume is low. I guess If I increase more gain than mic will pick up noise and audio interface may also generate some noise isn't? So whats the solution for it? Should I use Audition/Audacity to increase the gain (using Compressor or Amplify effect) but I guess that will also increases underlying background noise (if it is in the recording)?

Please forgive me, I'm afraid, after listening to SM57 it sounds like it-isn't have rich and warm sound like MXL 770. It sounds somewhat flat but I'm grateful I got this.
    Last edited by CatMalone; 08-16-2019 at 12:34.

Thanks
    Please don't cross post.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Please don't cross post.
    Both sites are different and I had a situation where I was stuck and had a question in mind and looking for opinion from different people so I did that (and it's a wise thing to ask for help rather doing something on your own with limited knowledge) and there is nothing wrong in that. I'm grateful to you for replying but If you are member of two sites then you can reply at one site and ignore the other one but please do say: 'don't post', I didn't break any rules. I'm in a fix and need an advise from veterans members.

Different people (members) have different experience so it's right thing to ask them instead of keep spending money lol as I made this mistake earlier during setup.

I'm sure you'd be agree with my explanation

Thank you.

Thanks
    Sorry, there was a rash of cross posting on this forum, four identical posts in different categories. And they were all the wrong categories. So I was sort of on a hair trigger.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 907 Posts
    Hi Cat,

There are a few things I'd like to point out, or confirm.
    It's completely normal that a dynamic microphone requires more gain than your MXL microphone. It's just the mechanics of how they work.

There will always be some amount of audible background noise in any recording.
    Whether it's wind/traffic/computer fans, or the internal self-noise of the equipment. The idea of 100% eliminating background noise is pretty much impossible so aim for an acceptable level of background noise.

What is really important is the ratio, or gap, between background noise and the signal - The signal to noise ratio.
    If you can listen to recorded voice without hearing, or being distracted by, background noise, then you're there. Job done.

For MXL vs SM57; You may already know but sm57 (or any dynamic) doesn't just magic away background noise.
    The deal is that that type of microphone is less sensitive than the MXL and, therefore, it's easier to get very close to it without having to worry about (much) about plosives/air blasts from your speech.

The closer you are to a microphone, any microphone, the louder you are relative to the background noise in the room, just like speaking very close to someone's ear in a loud venue.
    That's why a dynamic mic is often recommended for less-than-ideal acoustic environments.

If you were to sit 8"+ away from it then any potential advantage is lost and you may as well just use the MXL.

You're absolutely correct in saying that applying gain in your recording suite will raise background noise but that doesn't really matter as long as the speaking voice is well above the noise level.

Hope that's helpful.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steenamaroo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Take a look on youtube for videos on how to use a "gate" . All DAW's have some sort available. The dynamic mic can be put closer to the speaking person giving a proximity effect which will make the sound more present
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gtoboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Sorry, there was a rash of cross posting on this forum, four identical posts in different categories. And they were all the wrong categories. So I was sort of on a hair trigger.
    No worries
    It happens sometimes, I understand that.
    Someone might be posting multiple times...

Thanks
    Hi Cat.

Listening to the latest file, it is worlds better than the original samples you posted a few weeks back. Is the latest file a raw audio file or did you process it through Audacity's noise reduction?

It sounds like you're pretty close to the mic as there were a couple of plosives in the sample, but your signal still not too strong. I think you can go higher with the gain. Until you start getting overloading, take the gain up. Remember, the gain will have no effect on the relative level between your signal and the ambient noise. As they say, it raises all boats equally. The other option is to normalize the signal after its recorded. You can then see the noise in the quiet areas.

You might be able to further reduce the ambient noise with a change in microphone direction. One way you can test this is to record just background noise and rotate the microphone through the full 360 degrees. Maybe rotate it about 45 degrees and then make a note of how much background noise it picks up. Rotate, say a number, then rotate again. You should get 8 different directions thay way. If your room has no acoustic treatment, you probably won't notice a difference. If you have some reasonably good treatment to reduce reflections, then you may hear some improvement.

I'm not hearing any serious noise from the mic or interface, everything I hear is ambient room noise which still appears to be about -40dB relative to the max signal level..

You're final step may be to go with a noise gate. That should give you silence when you aren't talking. At the current level, it sounds like the noise is somewhat masked by your voice. Not knowing the final requirements, I can't say if this is acceptable or not. If you're doing audiobooks, then you really should have an absolutely quiet room. If you're doing Youtube videos, you can probably tolerate the noise.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TalismanRich For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Hi Cat,

What is really important is the ratio, or gap, between background noise and the signal - The signal to noise ratio.
    If you can listen to recorded voice without hearing, or being distracted by, background noise, then you're there. Job done.
    It completely makes sense to me and I noted down in my notes, you always guide me in a right direction. The irony is I've multimedia headset and in those every recording sounds great unless I specifically listen to the recording portion where I stay silent and record the noise and in order to listen to that I have to increase volume to 100% which usually blasts my ear otherwise I can't listen to the noise. I considered to get monitor headset but they cost a lot (multiple times the price it's available in US) that's why I'm dependent on members to give me the feedback.

BTW I'm not doing this for Youtube videos (where this much quality isn't even required), I'm recording this to create video course which requires good quality of audio. Now I already spent a few grands on the whole setup so I'm having to figure out a solution in other ways. It seems like I already reached to the conclusion.

>For MXL vs SM57; You may already know but sm57 (or any dynamic) doesn't just magic away background noise.
    The deal is that that type of microphone is less sensitive than the MXL and, therefore, it's easier to get very close to it without having to worry about (much) about plosives/air blasts from your speech.

Yeah I know that but there is a weird and a surprising thing:
    Weird things SM57 picks up a lot of plosives even though I use a pop filter and also tied up again, a handkerchief on the grill of mic and now speaking from 2" away but it still picks up 1 or 2 plosives (a sound engineer on youtube also said this SM57 picks up plosive but SM58 don't due to grill(which has wind shield).

Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    You're absolutely correct in saying that applying gain in your recording suite will raise background noise but that doesn't really matter as long as the speaking voice is well above the noise level.
    Surprising thing: As you and other member suggested so Now I increased the gain while recording with SM57, I set the gain to 100%, now the signal sounds good (at least to my ears). But the issue is this::: The recording which I did with MXL 770 with 75% gain: The level of noise it picks up, almost the same level of noise which is being picked up by SM57 with a gain of 100%

Video (screencast): see the Audio Levels in these video:

MXL770: Dropbox - 75%__gain-MXL-770.mp4 - Simplify your life

SM57: Dropbox - 100%_gain_SM57.mp4 - Simplify your life

Audio Files
    In case if you're interested to have a look at Audio Files, here's that:
    MXL770 Dropbox - 75%_gain_MXL-770.mp3 - Simplify your life

SM57: Dropbox - 100%_gain_SM57.mp3 - Simplify your life

I knew it before buying that dynamic mic don't require phantom power and needs more gain but the funny thing happens to me is:
    Even after getting SM57 (a dynamic mic) it picks up almost same level of noise (as I had to increase the gain to 100%) just like my condenser mic MXL770 (when you watch the video please look at the sound meter)

Q) Now I'm wondering what's the point of buying SM57 ?

It looks like the place from where I started I came back to it again lol

Update
    SM58 has arrived and good news is it picks up less noise than SM57 (even though both have the same element, may be just because of in built pop filter and it has ball grill). The other thing is it doesn't sound exceptionally good even though SM stands for Studio Microphone, it sounds like somewhat rough, muffled, nasal sound, May be I'm not feeling well that's why. Please have a look at the recording:

SM58: Dropbox - 99%_gain_SM58.mp3 - Simplify your life

All 3 recordings are just 1 min long.
    Last edited by CatMalone; 08-16-2019 at 12:36.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 907 Posts
    Yes, the 58 would handle close-proximity voice work better than the 57, with its built in windscreen.
    The 57 is, for all intents, the same microphone but without that metal+foam grill.

I know you're on a mission to totally eliminate background noise but....

Quote Originally Posted by CatMalone View Post
    every recording sounds great unless I specifically listen to the recording portion where I stay silent and record the noise
    Run with this ^.

Sure, it's good to take measures to minimise background noise, as you have done, but minimise is the word : It's always going to be there...It's just a question of whether or not it's noticeable.

Listening to your clips I can clearly hear room ambience in the MXL clip; Presumably you're a little farther from the mic, there.
    This isn't the case with the shure clips so they've paid for themselves.

The 57+58 sound just fine to me and the background noise is low enough that it's not posing a problem.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Steenamaroo For This Useful Post:

Thread Information