badvocal?

baz66

I am new to all this studio stuff but it's fun learning. Hope I can get some help.
Have set up a small studio in a small room approx. 4mx 4m.
I recorded a backing track from my korg to studio and then my vocalist sang the vocal part. When I played back just the vocal, the backing is in the background.(very soft) I'm still reading the manual so I hope I can learn a bit quicker. I only have one brain and that's well worn.
Can I get rid of the unwanted sound or do we have to rerecord with certain fx on. Hope I've put this right.
baz

Korg what? Keyboard? Playing the sound through speakers? Well, then, yes, the mic is going to pick some of that up. You can try to remove it using various techniques form phase reversal of hte orignal track, to expensive plug-ins, but in reality just re-record the vocal track and this time have the singer use closed-back headphones (no speakers!) to monitor the Korg sound.

Do you mean the backing is audible during vocal performance or you can hear it in the spaces between? If it's only audible in the spaces between vocal phrases, etc, you can just gate it out. I get this even with my headphones on occasion and it's simple just to turn on a gate in the DAW's vocal channel and just turn up the threshold until the background goes away.
If, however, you mean it's audible with the vocal, you'll need to redo like Mike suggested.

Baz... maaaaate.... you need to work on your questions. We have no idea what your "Korg" is...

Did you, perchance, have the backing track playing audibly whilst your singer was singing? And the microphone picked it up. Or playing very loudly in the cans he/she/it was wearing? Both will cause the effect you describe...

Re-record it. You're just learning. It's part of the journey.

Hey I'm a aussie. We don't tell anyone anything. Hmmm Or is that just me? Thank you for the advice. Yes the backing was way in the background and I realised that when she was singing, the sm58 was facing the wrong way.
The korg by the way is a pa3x.
I will lower the backing while she sings when we re record. Don't know much about gates and stuff. The dog does when he wants to go out. Yeah! I'll learn. Up to page 46 of 260 the studio one manual.
One more question. It was suggested that I use the zynyz as a doorstop( you didn't know that did you) but I have three inputs and the audiobox only has 2. The pa3x, the computer out and a keylab49(you didn't know that either).Should I be using the mike and instrument inputs for these.
I get no help around here out in the never never down under(look that up.I won't tell you).
Wow this is a good site.
baz

You don't need a gate (aka noise gate)... you need headphones for your singer to wear whilst she's singing... and turn the monitors off.

And there are lots of Australians hereabouts... we all know what the never never is...

You only need inputs for recording. So if you're recording a singer, you need one input. If you're recording something with stereo outputs, like your keyboard (the information that your korg is a pa3x still means I have to google "pa3x" to work out WTF you're talking about...) then you need two inputs... This means you need a total of two inputs, not three because you're not doing everything at once.

The inputs double as both instrument and microphone inputs as far as I can see - you must switch them somehow... or perhaps it's automatic?

Tell me you're not doing everything at once... that would require 3 inputs. But I'm betting your mixer only has a stereo out, so no point...

Thanks mate. you are very helpful. I hesitate to envisage how you look? son of yoda is descriptive.
I'm an oldie so things are much slower around here. Played around with it some more and made some new leads and presto, it's getting better.
baz

Back