Audition CS6 Multitrack Recording Disabled

ritb

Friends,
I have a recording session recorded in Audition CS6 + Windows 7. I copied it to another PC with windows 7 and Audition CS6. But when I try to record another track There is no recording option. 'Arm for Record' is greyed out/disabled. Although there is no such problem in first PC. Is this permissions issue or something else?
A word of advice pl.
If I create a project in that PC it records fine.

Do the two PCs have the same audio interface capabilities?

The session files store the audio routing details that you used to make the initial recording so, if exactly the same configuration doesn't exist, it'll throw a wobbly.

If it's a simple as this, you can go into Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware and Audio Channel Mapping and change it to sort things out.

Both the system has onBoard sound cards. Both are set to record in mono. Pls. can u elaborate?

I'll try.

The Audio Hardware setup is stored with the session information. This includes details of the sound card and input to that sound card to use. Unless the second computer has the identical make and model, Audition will be looking for a feed from a sound card that doesn't exist.

Go to Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware on the second computer and check that the Default Input is set to something valid for that computer...it'll probably read something like "Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio)". However, exactly what it needs to say will depend on what your onboard sound card is and what's set to be the input on your Windows 7 Audio control panel.

It shows whatever I have. i.e. IDT HD. While the first PC has and it shows realtek
Recording is disabled in multitrack only. waveform view is still able to record.

In the panel to the left of the track you want to record in, go to the dropdown menu beside the right-facing arrow (i.e. the input to the track) and change that to the sound card in your second PC--it's probably set to Realtek because you recorded on the first PC.

If the proper option isn't available on the drop down menu, go to Edit/Properties/Audio Hardware and make sure the proper card is selected.

A longer term solution (and one that will vastly improve your recording quality since internal sound cards are designed for video playback and Skype calls, not serious recording) will be to invest in an external USB audio interface and just swap it between your two computers as required.

In the panel to the left of the track you want to record in, go to the dropdown menu beside the right-facing arrow (i.e. the input to the track) and change that to the sound card in your second PC--it's probably set to Realtek because you recorded on the first PC.

If the proper option isn't available on the drop down menu, go to Edit/Properties/Audio Hardware and make sure the proper card is selected.

A longer term solution (and one that will vastly improve your recording quality since internal sound cards are designed for video playback and Skype calls, not serious recording) will be to invest in an external USB audio interface and just swap it between your two computers as required.
No brother, the hardware selection is right in both the systems.
I just discovered that adding a new track allows me to record on the new track. But If I close the project and reopen it the 'arm for record' disables on new track also.
A USB Audio interface is very good idea. But it is available 300KMs away from my town. I shall get it when I visit that Metro.

Ah, I think I may see where you are.

Go to the Multitrack view and, in the area to the left of your tracks, does the window by the right facing arrow say "None" then the name of your device?

If so, from the drop down menu there, select either Mono or Stereo (as you want) and the device input you wish to use. This should ungrey the record arm button.

It's the same problem I was guessing but, as I just experimented here, it manifests itself a bit differently than I remembered. However, I just tried to open a session from one sound interface with a different one, the "None" is what I see--and changing it fixes it.

Grrrrtttt. you are absolutely right. That solved the problem.
hahaha I keep the 'zoom out full' view because of which I could not see it.
Thank you very much my friend. you are a life saver.

Any idea how could I keep my device selected instead of 'none'?

The problem is as I suspected before--the audio hardware changed when you changed computer and no longer matches what you saved with the original session. If you change everything to the right hardware then Save (or Save As) the session it should be okay, at least until you move back to the other computer.

A USB interface you can use on either computer would be the permanent solution.

You were right on from the beginning how did u know? Did u have similar problem in the past?

You were right on from the beginning how did u know? Did u have similar problem in the past?

In a manner of speaking.

I use Audition and I have two different interface options: A large digital mixer that can handle 32 channels in and out via ADAT/Firewire and a simpler 2 channel USB interface. I generally use the mixer but it also sometimes gets moved out for live work, at which point I just use the 2 channel USB set up. Also, I sometimes get lazy and just use the onboard Realtek in my laptop to play tracks to people. I have to manually switch the Hardware and Channel mapping any time I change which I'm using so it's second nature to me.

Back