Audio Interface, Power Amp, Guitar Cabinet - trying something new.

joru100

Yoooo,

I moved into a new condo not too long ago and I don't know most of my neighbours that well just yet, therefore I'm not comfortable with recording my guitar work at moderate/loud volumes all day long. I am willing to record some guitar tracks with amp modeling software. Scuffham Amps - S Gear is what I just purchased. It's actually pretty good, but I'm not happy with the cabinet impulses.

So here's what I plan on doing if possible. I figured I can just direct input my guitar into my audio interface and use S Gear's amp sim and just bypass the cabinet sim until I'm happy with my takes. I did this and just like I figured, it sounded 'incomplete' without a cab. To solve this lack of tone, I would like to experiment by taking the recorded guitar track and then play it through my physical guitar cabinet and then record that as the final guitar track. I think this should give it a slightly more natural tone. This also allows me to playback/record the guitar cabinet at loud volumes at a time when I know my neighbours wont be home, very quickly, instead of doing take after take with my physical guitar amp and cab all day long.

Here's the problem and my apparent ignorance of speakers and power amps:

How do I connect my guitar cabinet to my audio interface? I have a FireStudio Project and my Mesa Boogie cab has a 16 ohm input and two 8 ohm inputs. I also have a pretty nice power amp my dad lent me for home theatres/speakers. How do I connect all these together? My biggest fear is the electrical resistance of the cab not being compatible with the AI and or PA.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi,

The chain would have to be interface line out -> PA line in -> PA powered output -> Cab.

Just check the PA's power output rating and the output impedance.
If the imedance matches your cab, you should be fine, but just remember they're not designed for eachother.

A pa will have a full range output and a guitar cab will probably be designed for a certain frequency range.

How do I connect my guitar cabinet to my audio interface?
You're talking about re~amping and this is the part that confuses me. If you've recorded the guitar part and you want to run it back into your amp for more realistic tone, wouldn't you just record the output with a mic straight into your interface, the way you would've done if you recorded the original take through an amp ?

You're talking about re~amping and this is the part that confuses me. If you've recorded the guitar part and you want to run it back into your amp for more realistic tone, wouldn't you just record the output with a mic straight into your interface, the way you would've done if you recorded the original take through an amp ?
His reason for this is because, rather than doing take after take at a volume that might disturb the neighbors, he can record his parts at a lower volume, and then do a quick, one take re-amp when he's able to briefly make some noise.

His reason for this is because, rather than doing take after take at a volume that might disturb the neighbors, he can record his parts at a lower volume, and then do a quick, one take re-amp when he's able to briefly make some noise.
That's what I thought he meant. He said that he'd record his parts DI into his interface then later, when he knows the neighbours are out, feed those guitar parts out of the DAW and into the amp where he can settle on the tone he wants and briefly make the noise. I'm just curious why he doesn't just mic the re~amp. I thought that was partly why many re~amp in the first place.

That's what I thought he meant. He said that he'd record his parts DI into his interface then later, when he knows the neighbours are out, feed those guitar parts out of the DAW and into the amp where he can settle on the tone he wants and briefly make the noise. I'm just curious why he doesn't just mic the re~amp. I thought that was partly why many re~amp in the first place.

Sorry I think I made some things confusing. Like all VST amp modeling software, the one I'm using has options to simulate both amps and cabs. I want to bypass the cabinet sim because I am not satisfied with it and just record the audio with strictly the amp sim enabled. The guitar will be plugged directly to the AI input like you said. I never said I'd record the parts into the DI later though.

Once I'm happy with the take on that guitar track, I then want to playback that track through my actual guitar cabinet and record that audio coming from the guitar cabinet simultaneously into a new track. I will then obviously delete the old track and just keep the new one. So it will be a combination of the first track with it's amp sim and the output through the guitar cabinet.

So I am doing what you said.

The guitar will be plugged directly to the AI input like you said. I never said I'd record the parts into the DI later though.
I understand. The guitar plugged straight into the audio interface {AI} is what I meant by DI.

I've assumed that's what he's planning to do?
What else could it be?

I wasn't aware he that he's not planning on doing that. What did I miss?
That was what confused me because the original question was about connecting the guitar cab to the AI. I wasn't sure where along the line that happens if the original take is with the guitar plugged directly into the AI
The guitar will be plugged directly to the AI input
and the re~amp is miked.

Back