Athalon/P-III pros and cons

stratman

I heard that Athalon's are not well tested for many of the newer recording cards that are out right now. Does this mean there are compatibility issues if I use, say, Athalon 650 with a Lexicon Core 2? Even though P-III are widely used for testing products, does this make P-III better with recording task as compared to Athalon's?

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Good question. I'd like to find out too.

The Athlon is a superior processor to the P-III. But in terms of compatibility and what not I'm not sure. It might be safer to go with Intel.

If you get an Athlon you have to becareful which chipset you get on your mainboard.

Tom's hardware guide (http://www.tomshardware.com/) might be of some help.

Just a thought: Since the Athlon won PC magazines product of the year, and since the success of the AMD Duron (it has basically killed Intel's Celeron), hardware manufacturers will probably begin to increase testing using AMD processors, hopefully resulting in increased AMD compatibility in the future.

KIA Vs. Chevy you decide. Athlons in a DAW are not a very smart idea by any means. Sure you might get it to work on SOME chipsets and by downloading all kinds of drivers but my god why mess around that much when you could be making stable music with the P-III. I am sorry folks but I would not build a house(DAW) with a sand foundation.

"why mess around that much when you could be making stable music with the P-III."

If you can get it to run stable it might be worth the trouble because the Athlon provides higher performance and is cheaper than a P-III (well, I'm not sure now though because last I heard is that after Intel screwed up big time and had to recall all their 1.13GHz processors they cut their prices.) The AMD Duron is like 1/3 the price of a P-III and comes quite close performance-wise in many benchmarks (check out http://www.tomshardware.com)

As of now, Intel may be leaving behind a residue of compatibility, but things are looking pretty rocky for them so I wouldn't jump to advocate their chips.

"things are looking pretty rocky for them" LOL WHOOO HOO hehe *cough* oh boy..

Hey mister there's no need to get rude just cuz someone disagrees with you -- unless you're really that insecure.

I didn't get rude at all ? I was laughing thats all. I am really sorry if that made you mad sheesh.

A P3 with equal clock speed to a duron is faster. You cant argue this. BUT where you alwys get these things in a twist is how much will you spend? bang for the buck? raw power? etc..

" "things are looking pretty rocky for them" LOL WHOOO HOO hehe *cough* oh boy.. "

It's a little condescending dude. Apology accepted though.

Just to clarify. Intel is still probably the best choice as of now in terms of capatibility. But they ARE having problems at the moment. Big ones too. A lot of ppl are saying a lot of things. Who knows what will happen in the future.....

Microsoft is having a lot of problems as well but do you think they are going out? nope. Intel is the big brother and the better choice for a daw by far. I am on an Athlon right now typing this, I bought it to be the CPU for my DAW because I wanted to help out the little guy and well lets just say it was a mistake, but hey it gave me an extra cpu and I built this one. Its good for the most part except gaming, crashes a lot and I have done a ton to make it stable. There are many people who get pissed when you say Athlons stink, but lets face it for a DAW they blow. Unless you really like messing with your computer more then making music, then you would have a blast.

PIII 500 Coppermine

I recently built a computer for recording. I went with a SuperMicro motherboard, PIII 550 Coppermine FC Processor. I also use 256 MB of RAM. Let me tell you that this thing smokes. I was worried about the performance.

Basically, I record all tracks to ADAT. Once the tracks have been laid, I import the tracks via a MOTU 2408 into the computer. (*note - I also have Ultra 160 SCSI drives) The tracks are then edited with Cubase VST/24. I have no problems. Of course, when I import the final mix into Wavelab, a 10 minute song may take a little while to process completely, but c'mon! We have to get up and go to the bathroom sometimes, right?

Justin

Athelon with Lexicon Core/2 will not work

Check out the relase notes for the Lexicon Core/2 and it states that there are 'unresolved issues with the athelon based PC's'. I had a chance to buy a core/2 cheap but when I installed it, 98 would freeze almost immediately and force a hard boot- I uninstalled other hardware and software until I was sick to no avail. luckily I was able to give it back, but lesson learned.

Can someone point me towards a comprehensive sound card forum, preferably reviews from athelon-owners?

Back